A new year, and I want to do better

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on oxygen 24/7 for a little over two years and I'm still waking up and having to adjust each morning to the fact that I'm sick. Sometime it takes hours to get out of my depressive funk. I don't want the rest of my life to be like this, but I don't know what I can do besides pray that the Lord will be with me and bring me through the bad times. 

In order to make myself feel better, I spend time on the Internet looking at pictures and reading about people who have it worse than I do. Part of me thinks doing that is wrong, though. Yet it seems to help me put things in perspective. What do you think?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, happy new year, am also on oxygen, not 24/7, but do understand the difficulties of carthin around a bottle and have to "look" different. Took me ages to accept it, now have a very brightly coloured trolley, it has a name, and we have dialog, bit like talking to my dog, come on darling. I also find to get awa y from myself that doing anything that makes me feel like I am not the only one, there are people much worse offf than me, give myself a talking to, it is too easy to fall into the depression trap of feeling alone and isolated. This forum is a great way to contact others and see how they cope with cope, toward the latter stages it is a real chore to keep yourself at peace with everything. Hang in there, nothing you do, that improves your mental health, within reason of course, can hurt. Sending you a big hug degb

• Posted

Hi tanarg Happy New Year to you.

It would help to know in which country you live, as there are different support systems in place depending where you live.

I'm not on oxygen but I always have focussed on things that can be done to improve the health situation.  

Referral to PR educational course would be a good option if you haven't already done one recently and if you have deconditioned.

In UK lots of self help courses available, some are available free on-line as well, courses, for stress, managing anxiety depression, art therapy, mindfulness etc etc anything you fancy really.

Perhaps chat with your doctor about what is available to you by referral or self referral.

Different countries have different support groups, UK has Breathe Easy, US has Better Breathers.  Not to mention the various support groups on line, some very comprehensive with a huge following like Ultimate Pulmonary Wellness.

Hope you find a renewed lease of life and interest in 2018.

All the very best V

• Posted

In 1996 I had quad bypass and felt the same way. Then in early 2,000 COPD snd wound up three times in three years in the hospital. Felt like you. Now it looks like I need to be on oxygen most of the time. I’m fine in bed but the moment I begin to do anything physical oxygen drops into 80s. I am angry and depressed BUT bottom line is, I can’t bend down to do shoelaces do I wear loafers. I have a grabber if I have to get something on the floor and so on. Cheer up and be happy you’re not worse. 
  • Posted

Hi Tanarg!  I am having a hard time, adjusting to the fact, that I have to use oxygen.  I can go out without it when I go to other places and hopefully it won't get much worse, so I can just use it mainly at home, or take a portable tank with me when I leave, to do some, if I need too.  This is all new to me and I am sorry I have to deal with this.  Its great to read up on it, knowledge is good!  But do nice things for yourself as well.  You don't mention if are able to go out, but get away from the house if you can, have friends or family over, watch a good movie. Don't dwell on it all the time, when I find myself feeling down, I get myself out of it.  Good luck.

• Posted

I have an INOGEN ONE G3 portable unit with extra batteries case etc. it’s almost new and I don’t get out much at all anymore. Make a fair offer and it’s yours. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.