A plea to the powers that be...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm not sure if the moderators read every thread or can influence this, however I'm getting a bit fed up of constantly seeing adverts targeted at liver disease symptoms when I log on to this forum. I know my liver isn't functioning well due to my alcohol consumption, but I find the constant reminder every time I view the forum distressing.

I understand that nothing's for nothing in this world and that I could pay to view the site without adverts, however it does seem a bit opportunistic to target liver disease adverts to the alcohol consumption forum. To take it to its extreme, would we find it acceptable to market funeral directors to forums dealing with terminal illness? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Bless you Keith

How very distressing, I think however there is nothing we can do, I saw a programme today trying to ban adverts for caffeine drinks for under 13's it seems on the contrary that they are in fact targeting them !!!

• Posted

Have you tried Adblock?
    • Posted

Haven't tried Adblock but sent a message to my geek to get his opinion on this idea.

We all pay for internet rights and services as well as for television. YES it would be nice to not have to put up with issues that effect most of us and a constant reminder of the difficult times or things that influence us everyday.

I could rant on for hours but I got your message, Thanks Georgia.

• Posted

While this not a medical or addictions topic, it is something that I have set up now on my Google browser.

For instance, right now I don't have any ads on my screen while viewing this site  smile

Keith02, this is what you need as well to stop those nasty ads you were mentioning.

• Posted

Hi Keith,

No I don't read everything, see the FAQ section linked at the bottom of the page for more info on this and reporting issues/contacting me.

Re the ads, I will ask our advertising manager to block these ads on these pages. I may need to get more info but will talk to him first.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan, thanks for responding and for your willingness to explore a possible solution.

I maybe over-egged the pudding slightly by saying I found it "distressing" but I do hate the constant reminder and when you look at the forum on a mobile device, it's quite prominent and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I get targeted advertising and wouldn't mind if it was for something like low-alcohol beers :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.