A question about food for pros

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

I am asking those who have been dealing with diverticulitis for years can one go back to raw foods and lettuce and spinach if they weren't a trigger food when all is well? And can I go back to bigger portions?

Thanks,

Julie

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

So far, I find that trial and error will guide your diet.  Try a small amount. I personally find lettuce difficult to digest.  More so than even beans and corn!  As for raw spinach, I never eat it, I always cook it. (I read somewhere that there is a slight toxin in raw spinach!)  I am going easy on onion and garlic. The main no-no foods for me are fatty foods. Especially fatty pork (ie sausage, ribs) and anything deep fried.  I gave up on KFC skin 25 years ago....  But I will still have a few potato chips, and spring rolls that I have made myself in olive oil.  I am not sure about spicy foods : I think I will wait another month!
  • Posted

Hi,

I am very curious to know the answer to your question too.  I have a friend who has had this for 18 years and she said for me not to eat raw fruits or vegetables for 1 year!  She said it takes a long time to heal the gut.  Now she eats most things like grapes and salads but some things like strawberries she does not eat.  So I am curious as to what you find out from the long timers on this forum.

Thank you for asking and good luck to you!

Georgie

• Posted

Hello. I've been diagnosed with diverticulitis and Chrons. Certain high fiber greens are not good for me but I do enjoy spinach, romaine, red and green leaf salads but am careful what I

put on those salads. I tolerate all kinds of homemade salad dressings, onoin slices soaked in water for 10 minutes and rinsed to take the bite out, croutons, tomato, olives, mushrooms, avocado, artificial bacon bitts and cheese. Everyone is different so keep a food diary and pay attention to your gut.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Julie,

I have today ordered a  blender which will blend smoothies of lettuce, spinach and Kale, in fact all leafy greens and fruits,  which, at 86 y/o I have difficulty with, being a DD 'exister' for many more years than I like to contemplate. I am hoping that breaking them down into a drink (albeit a 'sludgy' one) will help me with vitamins and minerals, without placing too much strain on my gut. As for bigger portions, I personally would avoid them.  Be gentle with your insides, don't overload them would be my advice.  I avoid anything with seeds, but I have a filter so can enjoy fruits like raspberries, strawberries, blackberries which have seeds, by filtering them out first.

I hope this goes some way to answering your question. Incidentally, my greatest help is a daily Pro Biotic capsule; this has so far greatly limited the number of inflammatory episodes of Diverticulitis which I have suffered over the past few years, which has been wonderful. I also avoid constipation like the plague, and take two isphagula (?) husk sachets in water daily without fail. Very best wishes to you Julie.

• Posted

Hi Rosie

Thanks for your advice. What is the name of the probiotic you take and how many million are in it?

Julie

• Posted

I think we all take probiotics.... The ones I am taking now have "50 billion minimum at expiry date, 100 billion input at production".  They are the kind that does not require refrigeration, which is great because I do a lot of camping!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.