A question about lupus diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, my name is Lisa, I've been feeling really unwell lately and my rheumy thinks I have early stages of lupus. ANA is 2560 and I have extreme fatigue and aches and pains among other things. I'm 30 and I'm normally a very energetic healthy person so it feels very unnatural. Anyway it all feels pretty scary, and I have a question if anyone can help..

Has anyone heard of someone having ANA as high as mine who has not had an autoimmune disease? C3 and c4 were also low, so is vitamin d and iron. But I dont have a rash or joint swelling etc, or the specific blood marker for lupus.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Rheumy app tomorrow to start lupus meds even though I dont have a formal diagnosis, hopefully it helps X

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi lisa18996

What were your inflammation markers. You should have had an ESR, CRP and an ANA blood tests. Usually if all three are raised then lupus is considered. Also, have you had a dsDNA test for lupus. Also, low vit D can cause joint pain and low iron can cause extreme fatigue. I would ask for a B12 test aswell this is associated with low iron. I would start your D vits and iron, and B12 first to see if there is any improvement before taking lupus meds...my best wishes to you..

• Posted

Sorry, I would suggest differently I would suggest you do start meds when you are feeling so bad. Quite often Lupus doesn't show up in blood tests, there are currently no completely reliable tests for Lupus and other types of auto immune disorders. It is often diagnosed on history. Given that a  range of auto immune disorders have similar treatments, I would suggest you not get too hung up on whether the blood tests confirm Lupus. I would concentrate on trying to feel better. The earlier you start treatment the better your long term outcome for these types of disorders. They often progress and symptoms develop without treatment. This is just my opinion based on past experiences with a very similar disorder.Of course you must make a judgement but I think your doctor would not prescribe such meds without a very strong opinion it is this type of disorder. You don't only go by blood tests but also by symptoms. Good luck whatever you decide. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.