A question for the people with experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys!

I will try to keep it very short.

28 male, I was recently diagnosed with panic disorder from a psychologist couple days ago, since I've recently started having panic attacks.

My panic attacks are about health which is what made me stop a lot of things including weekly alcohol drinks, cigarettes, sugar and caffeine cold turkey. Already a month without any of them.

She claims this is probably something I have since I was very young, but I have just learned to cope with it, alltho recently in the past month or two has been a bit worse, I think due to me having to go out of my comfort zone in my personal life. I think I know what is the main trigger, but it will take time for me to solve that, nothing I can do in the meanwhile.

Tonight I am invited to a birthday and I really wonder if I should go. I dont think avoiding stuff due to me not feeling comfortable the day after or at the evening is healthy , so I think I should push myself and just go and have fun, cos I do know it will be fun.

Since its birthday, its not like I can just ignore drinking, which is fine, since I know that after the second drink I will feel like I have never had panic attacks and I will feel amazing, the problem is tomorrow, when the alcohol is out of your system and you feel very prone to anxiety.

My question is, would you in my situation just skip this even or should I instead push myself and stop with all the rules and safety behaviors I indulge myself in, hoping everything will be alright?

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

you're right about safety behaviour. think of it like this, yes you may get anxiety. but that's it? can you tell yourself i may have to have a day chilling and recovered but that's it. nothing bad will actually happen? easier said than done i know but if you can even start to feel mildly comfortable with this approach the anxiety gets less when you're no longer scared.

• Edited

Among other theorized causes, Panic Disorder has been shown to be present among persons who have experienced intense separation anxiety as a child. For most sufferers, the disorder is encountered in a sort of relapse and remission cycle that can occur years apart for many and within a shorter timeframe for others.

Because of the rather intense discomfort that panic attacks impose, most sufferers tend to inaccurately assess the actual cause and instead make sometimes drastic changes to their dietary choices or other normal life patterns in the hopes of abating the panic events. The actual cause of panic disorder is a reduction in GABA, or Gamma-aminobutyric acid, a neurotransmitter responsible for suppression of the rate of certain nerve impulses that results in a calming effect. In instances where GABA is diminished, panic disorder has been shown to be more prevalent. So care and consideration must be given to precisely what, if any, changes should be made to one's daily routine or dietary regimen.

In the presence of GABA reduction, research demonstrates that significant psychological trauma or life-changing event can result in recurrence of panic episodes. If you are subject to such trauma or life-changing event, then it may well constitute the underlying reason for recurrence. Even fearful outlooks such as financial inadequacy or fear of loss in a relationship where dependency is of considerable import can result in panic episodes.

While alcohol is indeed a CNS depressant and to some degree can raise the threshold from a panic episode, regular alcohol consumption can represent a dangerous path to resolution of your panic circumstances since reliance can ultimately constitute addiction. It's also important to refrain from notions that alcohol consumption is a social requisite merely because it is present in copious amounts among those attending a function. My comments are not intended as condemnation but rather to merely point out common errors of reference made by those in your age group. You seem like a bright and aware individual, so I'll pause here on the particular topic.

Panic Disorder for some can be a very limited ordeal, with symptoms occurring as you describe and once precipitating matters resolve, recurrence can be rare. If symptoms persist, your primary physician can provide brief treatment with a number of medications that are designed to suppress the actual panic episodes. Otherwise, maintaining a regular exercise regimen and working to successfully sort out the origins responsible for the onset of panic disorder will take you very quickly to resolution and return to normal life patterns.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.