A question for those diagnosed with iron overload..

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have not been diagnosed with hemochromatosis but I recently had some blood work done and my results were as follows:

Serum Iron 346 

(Range 37-145)

TIBC 363

(Range 250-450)

Ferritin 29

(Range 13-150)

Have any of you had hemochromatosis and lower end ferritin levels? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am assuming you're female. What is your age? and what brought you into having an Iron study done?

Normally even as a menstruating female you would need a higher ferritin to be considered for the rule out of Hemachromatosis. 

Your test results don't show anything significant at this point. The higher total Iron level may have other reasons behind it which could be looked at in more detail. But I would not worry about Hemochromatosis at this point.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

People shouldn't focus too much on the iron levels that doesn't really highlight if you have this problem you need to get genes tested.

Levels at times can be misleading because people may be fighting something like an infection or what I have seen a lot is due to not best diets they get response so there is fight going on which raises levels also it can depend on when you was tested in the day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.