A question on anesthesia

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi hope someone is able to answer my question please, I'm from the UK and due to have my gullbladder removed, my pre assessment is on the 18th October, I have a big fear of gas masks and the smell of the gas, to the point I have a panic attack as soon as I see the mask, have I got the option to state I don't want it? I'm willing to have as many injections as they need to give me just can't be having gas, it's already playing on my mind and I'm feeling very anxious, thanks in advance

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Donna,

I am in the US but I assume it's the same... If you are under anesthesia, they will put something in your IV to make you pass out before they even put a mask on you. You'll go to sleep and wake up none the wiser.

• Posted

Hi Donna, I am on a waiting list to have this surgery (long wait in my case) and I beleive they give you an injection so you will likely be asleep already before any mask etc BUT please ask at your pre-op as this is your opportunity to raise questions like this and put your mind at rest. Each hospital/ surgeon does have their own methods it seems from people's stories. I had a different op a few years back and was given an iv injection which felt very cold and they asked me to count backwards and you don't get very far, then the next thing is someone waking you up. Itis a good idea to take a list of questions with you to pre-op as your mind can go blank otherwise and you remember when you get back what you wanted to ask. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

I'm coping, thanks. Hope you are OK!

?Hospital 2 say there will only be 2 week's notice of op date and pre-op will be in that time frame, so I'm still waiting to hear.

?Now we have more unrest in the NHS and junior drs are planning more strikes in the autumn, so things look shaky again!! I have just resigned myself to go with the flow, but it is tough living in limbo, luckily not usually in too much pain if I stick to limited foods and take things easy.

?

?Take care and I'll post when any news.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia,

I've been wondering how you are doing!  I'm glad to hear you're doing okay.  

I'm doing all right, post surgical recovery.  I've got a few more days before my MD said I could start exercising, etc.  Also on a med that I'll be taking for a while (just i case).  So, just something else to deal with.  

But, I'm okay.  Please let me know how you're doing! xxx

• Posted

Hi Donna, I had the op about 10 years ago and I didn't wear a mask just had an injection.

Within seconds you are asleep so don't worry about it.

• Posted

Hi donna first off are you having keyhole surgery or open surgery? If you're having keyhole ask for an epidural im a nurse and some of my patients have had ops with just an epidural. I had open emergency surgery as my gallbladder had ruptured so i had no choice to have the gas

• Posted

Hi, Donna,

Because of the nature of the surgery, they may not use a mask at all, but ask your doctor.  Your doctor is the best judge of what types of anesthesia work for the type of surgery you will have. 

Normally, you will have an IV, and any medication they will give you will be through that IV.  

Please try not to worry. Best of luck, and let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Hi,

I am on from the UK.

I am also waiting for a GB removal.

They follow standard practice, I had a key Hole surgery before

for a grastic band.

They will tell you lie on the bed. make you confortable.

They will give you an injection and tell you count to 10. you will be knocked out in a few seconds. They will then give you oxygen via a tube or mask if needed.

You will wake up in your recovery room and not see no mask.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Ajay

• Posted

Hey

I've just had my surgery on Wednesday, they put an injection in my hand and then put the mask on me which I was trying to fight against the sleepiness but I'm sure u can ask them to knock u out with the jag 1st so then u wont know about the mask... I am the same as u I didn't like the idea of it all and I was petrified of being put to sleep and having go go thro it but all was ok :-) I hope all goes ok for u x

• Posted

They don't generally give you gas now days. Only an injection.

Best of luck with your op. X

• Posted

I have pre op on Wednesday.

In the Herefordshire area in the uk the list is 6-9 month's waiting time.

It seems silly that I am having It done now when the op won't get done until next year.

Ive had a bad week main attack Tuesday last lasted 5 hrs and dull pain went on until Friday, it makes you want to cry!!

• Posted

Hi Amanda, you should do what I did, I live in Hertfordshire and it was going to be a really long wait for my gallbladder op so I paid to see a consultant privately (£150) & then got bumped up the food chain & had the op done on the NHS 2 weeks later.

Best £150 I've ever spent.

• Posted

Hi Pally, That is interesting, I had a private 2nd opinion and changed hospitals to go with that consultant but as NHS as I was made redundant from work. However, they put me at the back of the NHS list again. My first hospital kept cancelling my surgery and messing up, so I thought the move might help but I'm no further forward, but hope at least they won't cancel as it is a larger hospital than the first which has had quite a few problems and closures. Maybe it is because you stayed at the same hospital? I don't regret the second opinion though, as I was unsure the gallbladder was my problem due to some atypical symptoms but the consultant seemed confident.

The first wave of jnr doctor strikes was the cause of my first cancelled surgery and it went downhill after that. Now they are still looking to have more strikes, I wish I could have the whole thing private as been ill over a year and it is holding me back in so many aspects of life now.

Take care and best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Pally, Cynthia,

I am based in Wolverhampton. I have been on the list since March for a GB removal. I keep on being told it will be 3-4 months yet every time I call.

I complained last week using the details on the NHS web site about Patient Care they call it CCG and that you should not wait more than 18 weeks.

I got a call back from straight away from the Director of the local CCG.

And she called my Surgeon and spoke to them and at least got me some more information.

I am now told that I am the 7th (referral) on the list, which i still dont understand as it will still be 3-4 months. she also found out that my surgeon will not approve for me to go to another consultant as I am supposed to be a complicated case, what ever that means. And that I should stay with him as he is an "upper CI" surgeon. She then said, if you do want to look around then please make sure the surgeon is a "upper GI surgeon".

I am just waiting for the magic phone call to tell me a date for my OP. :-(

Ajay

• Posted

Hi ajay - Thanks for your reply - I'm in Staffordshire but I moved to hospital in another area as I did not feel confident in the local hospital after a lot of setbacks. Might have shot myself in the foot time wise. I went through PALS at the first but all they did was offer another date there. Should have insisted they give me an alternative without further delays I guess.

But as I did not feel so bad as I had done, I was hoping I'd get well without surgery after all that time, sadly not so. I hope you soon get your date and it all works out. The postcode lottery that is the NHS is not fair, we should all be treated equally. Take care and good luck!

• Posted

PS meant to add maybe the Drs strikes gave them an excuse to ignore the 18 weeks rule in my case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.