a question re - parathyroid hypercalcemia

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am wondering if anyone on this forum knows about Parathyroid Hypercalcemia, I am hoping Eileen can help with this query.

I heard that PMR can be a precurser for Parathyroid Carcinoma, and I googled and came up with some interesting information on the subject.

There is a blood test for the PTH levels.

One report" wants to emphasize PMR MAY present as the first sign of parathyroid carcinoma".

Never having heard of the above, was curious if others know of this problem.

Track

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Why question? Is your calcium blood test too high?

• Posted

No Nick not at all, just curious, I was reading about it and one of the studies suggested PMR was a precursor, thought I would get some sensible answer's from this Forum which has happened.

• Posted

PMR is unlikely to be a "precursor" as that would suggest PMR causes something - the point is that PMR is the name given to a set of symptoms which are due to an underlying condition. In our case it is probably an autoimmune vasculitis but there are several other causes and some at least should be ruled out before coming to the conclusion that it is PMR as we know it. Before the diagnosis is made a panel of blood results including calcium should have been done to rule out other potential causes.

It has been talked about on the forum before - anyone with a high calcium level should also have a parathyroid hormone test done. This a pretty good site which I have quoted before:

https://www.parathyroid.com/parathyroid-symptoms.htm

You can easily see why PMR and it can be confused! But it would be accompanied by a raised blood calcium level - which should trigger a GP to check the hormone level. So if you have a raised calcium level - it needs to be investigated.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen, I will read the site you suggested.

Many thanks, Track

• Posted

Another reason to check the parathyroid glands has been mentioned on the forums, probably in the osteoporosis forum not here: malfunctioning parathyroid glands can cause bone thinning, even osteoporosis, and until that is sorted out no amount of nutrition or medication will help.

• Posted

Thank you Anhaga, for your reply.

Track

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.