A quick review of Venlafaxine (antidepressant)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been using Venlafaxine 150mg for 3 weeks so far, at first it did make be feel a bit anxious but I am starting to feel a bit happier. Just a tip for you guys if you do try it, it will make you feel worse for the first 2 weeks or so. I don't know why the doctor didn't tell me this. But I really wanted to tell others as I was so worried for a while. So if you do start taking it, just take your time and relax, it will pass xx 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So glad it is working for you, I have been taking 300mg daily of Venlafaxine for about 8 months and it hasn't done anything for me, doctor even tried "boosting" it with 45mg Mirtazapine, still nothing........!! sad

• Posted

REALLY? I'm soooooooooo sorry to hear about that sad That is not good enough, you can't suffer like that!! I really sympathise with you. I don't know if you are aware but there are stronger antidepressants. My friend had a similar experience as you, he just could not get any relief from the standard antidepressants. He was referred to a psychiatrist. Psychiatrist are able to prescribed medications that GP's can not, they have more powers etc. He was prescribed Lithium, I must say though Lithium is only prescribed in certain circumstances, I don't know a great deal about it. I just thought I would let you know, as I hate to think of you suffering if there is a way to stop it!! Plus also they maybe have other medications other than Lithium that they could prescribe you. Maybe it's worth seeing if they can refer you to a psychiatrist xx

• Posted

I have taken 300 mg venlafaxine and 15 mg mirtazapine (mostly for sleep) since July 2015 for treatment resistant depression. It works so well for me that I have my life back and am happy. I hope you will find something that does work as well for you.
  • Posted

Hi phyllis11904 that's GREAT to hear it works so well for you smile that gives me hope as it's working a tiny bit at the moment, so I guess in a few more weeks it will get even better smile Thank you for the info, im happy your life is on a good track again. Blessings to you xx 

• Posted

I had a severe reaction to venaflaxine; it made me impulsive, suicidal and intensely unable to cope.

• Posted

Hi jj. When I first started taking venlafaxine the pharmacist told me it would take a few weeks before I would really notice a lift in my mood. I hope you will keep feeling better like I did.
    • Posted

That sounds great smile Thank you so much Phyllis, yes I am feeling a little better each day, so I hope soon I will feel normal/happy. Thank you so much for your advice xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.