A random CT scan shows evidence of empysema

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am anxious about this recent news - have not smoked for 11 years and when I did smoke, it was never more than about 12 cigs a day or less.  To boot, I also quit several times.  I'm scared

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know exactly how you feel.  I am 56 and went last year for a promotional CT scan and it showed the same thing.  I had a 3mm nodule and a 3cm Bulla.  Quit Smoking and went again this year for a followup and everything showed the same.  Went to a pulmonologist to put my mind at ease and said for me to not worry and enjoy life.  I was consumed in searching everything and anything I could on the internet which is even more scary so Ive tried to quit doing that.  I did do the spirometry test and go back in June for a yearly one.  I dont know what all the numbers mean but I will listen to my dr. and TRY to not worry which is hard to do.  I believe anyone that smoked or does smoke probably has empysema which is under the umbrella COPD which I think they go hand in hand.  Anyway what all did the CT scan show.  Keep thinking positive and try not to worry which is easier said than done.

Also if there is anyone on here that can give me info on a Bulla I would very much appreciate that.  There is not much online about that when I do get online to look.

• Posted

I wasn't given any numbers which made the whole thing worse.  I am going back tomorrow to the doctor with 10 questions. 

• Posted

Rosemary don't be scared! We all have been scared. I was as well a year ago when I found out. What I have learned was from this forum of amazing people that will reach out to help you. I am doing great. I have learned that excersize is important. I have been referred t a Respiroligist that I see every 3 months. Last appointment was last week. He said I was doing great. Ask your Doctor the right treatment for you. We all are different. You will be just fine. Keep asking questions and compile the answers. You are not alone. Keep us posted. We are here for you.

Ellen

• Posted

Hello all, I went to my doctor yesterday. He apologized at least 4 times for not taking the time to explain my results. As you all know, I need to do the lung function test (on April 4th). That will determine the severity (I don't expect anything). My doctor did say that he does not expect me to have any symptoms at all since I have not shown any to date. I will let you all know my lung test results. I cannot tell you enough, how thankful I am for your support and comforting words. You are my angels ??🇨🇦

• Posted

Rosemary I am still learning so much about this new journey I now have to take. It can be overwhelming at times. I have two amazing Doctors in my court. I just take it one step and one appointment at a time. Do what I am told to do and to have this forum with the most awesome people that offer and share personal experiences. This has helped me more then Google could ever have. Keep in touch and I will do the same. 

??🇨🇦

• Posted

I was the same got told i had emphysema changes

emphysema changes are almost always seen in folks as they age – kind of like the lungs way of getting ‘wrinkles and gray hair’. While for those without predisposing factors, such changes are not extensive and certainly not consequential, for those who are developing clinically significant lung disease, they are more widespread and to a greater degree than for those who don’t develop disease. (2) The bottom line is that we MUST understand that CT’s are VERY “sensitive” and pick up microscopic changes (thank goodness for that, in so many ways and for so many reasons!) including emphysema and they do so in so many cases LONG before clinically consequential disease rears its ugly head. As such those findings represent little more than a ‘curiosity’; an ‘incidental finding’

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.