A real period in post-menopause

Posted , 7 users are following.

i posted about this first last week. I have to tell you, I had read so much online about post-menopausal bleeding that when I went from light spotting to a full blown period I thought that was it, it's over! well I now have zero flow, cramps are gone. I think I had a real period three years after my last one. Still going to get an ultrasound but feeling much better. Why don't people--doctors--write about this more? 

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

three years with  no periods but  last dec had  a flow but just a size of a half a dollar nothing more and it was? I was reading 20/30 percent of post menepausal women get bleeding... The article said this was normal but that you should still get seen and exam by your doctor. I agree why not much is address about this.
    • Posted

I know!  They don't write about it much at all, and I do understand the concern over it and the need for one to go to a doctor, but would be good to see more shared about what the causes might be, what to expect, what the outcomes are for different people.  
  • Posted

Yes I'll be addressing this to my gym next visit and get some test done praying for the best and for you too.
    • Posted

Yes, thank you, and I do hope you are fine and doing well.  I know how nervous I am about it, and I hope you get great news!

• Posted

I had some polyps removed  earlier last year which was negative non cancerous but will be addressing this to my doctor my next visit is this week thank you for your support.
  • Posted

Was reading  about post   menepause and bleeding google it and read sometimes polyps Endometrial atrophy .Endometrial hyperplasia 

Endometrial cancer  can be the corporate of the bleeding tell your doctor I'll be telling mines. Take care and praying for you and me that all our test comes out good.

• Posted

Hi Susan, if anyone should have told you this was normal it should have been your gyne and while normal throughout the process some women like you feel alarmed that your body is cleaning itself out. Your doctor should have calmed your fears, by saying, if it feels like your period then it is your period! Now, if you were still bleeding after say  10 days then I'd be concerned about it but a period with cramps and mood swings, please, don't tell me you forgot what it was like? Good to hear you survived it and can it happen again? Yes, it can happen for up to 10 years from when you started your menopause. I know this from being a gyne nurse. Have a good day.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words!  I did just have an ultrasound conducted.  I am completely healthy.  Once again, they said it was a random egg that fired and started it all (I say "once again," because I hear that from ladies here on the forums).  It was a very stressful experience, and not much was said afterwards by the doctor, except to let her know if there is any more bleeding.  My lining is thin (3.9 mm) and I am in good shape.  I just wish more medical professionals would more openly share that this CAN happen to women, even after a few years of NO periods so the ladies here and elsewhere looking for answers have some positive possibilities to consider, and not always be made to feel as though it's a death sentence. Bless you all!
  • Posted

Thank you so much for posting this! As I just had the same experience. I assumed it was a normal cycle (it felt like one). However, I just happened to go to a new GYN due to insurance and mentioned it. She immediately said oh that's not normal and urgently stated you need tests and biopsy. While I appreciate her concern. She never informed me of the best case scenario... "Or it could just be your cycle." I left anxious and feeling as if perhaps my knowledge was completely wrong until I researched and read your response! God bless you!
  • Posted

Hi, i have been having what i feel is a full perion for three days. My last period having been over three years ago. I have been researching the internet and lots of serious and frightnening articles etc have popped up. But nowhere have i found your response which makes me feel a bit better. I am waiting on a hospital appointment to visit a gynaecologist. Thank you for your comment that there should be more positive responses that an  anomolie period can occur.
  • Posted

I started having menstrual cramps, back pain, skin breaking out and mood swings in December, it lasted 3 weeks and there was no bleeding.  I went in to the doctor and he said it isn't normal and if I do have any bleeding to call immediately that it could be uterine cancer.   I have been terrified that I will have bleeding before my ultrasound at the end of the month.  I have not had a period for 2 1/2 years.  Thank you for your post, I feel better knowing if I do have any bleeding it doesn't mean cancer. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.