A severe bruise with pain and swelling or flesh eating- infection?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Picture speaks for itself. I am too scared to find out yet for sure by heading to hospital, just hope to wake up with it gone. I’m sitting here waiting for the worst to come of this. So far I just feel thirsty and anxious. along with the awful pain when I move my arm. My pain tolerance is so high, or I’d have been to the er hours ago. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Are you running a fever? Is it hot to the touch? Flesh eating bacteria is fast moving, I would mark the boarder with a pen to keep track of it to see if it is spreading. When in doubt always go to the doctor. Fleash eating bacteria is uncommon. Things that put you at risk, eating osters, having a cut at the beach and being in the salt water. These are just a few examples that could put someone at risk for the bacteria. Hope for the best for you. Best of luck.
    • Posted

So without those risk factors most id be dealing with is another infection or a blood clot maybe? I’d be less panicked then.  I read there isn’t anything in particular though even staph type bacteria can lead to it through wounds. How common it is here in Canada I don’t know. My luck who knows what I’d manage to get. Sad to say...
    • Posted

Yes I feel hot but I have no way of checking my temperature. And as of now it is causing a weird lighter discolouration over the side of my elbow, the feeling of the swelling wanting to burst out in the crook of my arm is hard to ignore now. Is there a way to post an updated pic on here? 
    • Posted

I don't know how to post photos. Are you on any medication? Are you active and what is your age? Yes a cut could cause flesh eating bacteria, but more common would be staph. Are you tired? Or lack of appetite ? Nausea or vomiting? Best thing to do so your not worried is get it looked at.

• Posted

Is the area where the burise is hot to the touch? Did you bump it or injure it? When or how long ago did it start?
    • Posted

I was on medications in the past for my bipolar disorder, they wouldn’t have an affect on blood related complications or anything far as I know. Age 24. Not exactly active as far as  regular exercise I just watch what I eat. My circulation is messed in ways including having discoloured/numb extemeties at times etc so it’s possible I just bruise and bleed into deep tissues easily, due to improper system in general.  It began as a small wound, never would have imagined it turning into this. It is looking much better tonight still swollen  but I am going to ask the dr in morning why it happened even though it may not have resulted in infection. I never get those in past anyways thank goodness. I’ll keep you updated! Thank you. smile
    • Posted

Hi Shorty, I am pretty sure it is not flesh eating bacteria, they thought I had that problem and even mine was not bad enough and you can see in the photo it is much worse than you have. Do you take any drugs that could cause bruising? 
    • Posted

Are you kidding me they cant do something about that? What more do they need to see to help you for real. Here I am throwing a fit over my hair face, ears my whole damn body and you at you. I am so sorry you have to go through this. Best you keep it covered so it doesnt get worse. Please go and get it checked.

• Posted

I had to have an operation to clean it out under general anaesthetic, photo attached . I now have it dressed a couple of times a week. They are talking about a skin graft. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.