A small? Victory

Posted , 4 users are following.

actually feels like quite a significant victory but that may be a reflection of how big a deal it felt rather than reality! Could do full pedal on bike - slowly and just 5 min - for 1st time today since surgery! Was sooooo scared as last time I tried, pain so excruciating I nearly fainted! Scared to try again but got there today, followed a little routine I found online to ease into it Physio will not tell me off now:-) ice and elevate now! ! ICE AND ELEVATE NOW ! image

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Congrats on your victory. What was the routine that helped you do full pedal? I am having issues with full pedal.

• Posted

hi paddycakes see pics in post below. i actually thought i would never be able to do this so don't despair

• Posted

I meant to say recumbent bike

• Posted

physio told me to use upright type tho i used a recumbent one pre-op to reduce knee strain - said better now to use upright but i guess either is helpful? But recumbent maybe changes the knee position in relation to rest of body? Dont want you to hurt yourself! DON'T FORCE IT!

• Posted

I use the recumbent bike at physio and at home. I don't have quite full ROM but I will ask about using the upright . Thanks again .

• Posted

That's great how many weeks post opp are you? I tried in the gym this week and I couldn't do it, have been told since to put seat up higher. I'm 9 weeks.

• Posted

hi I am 18 weeks - could not have done it at 9 weeks either. We are all different but i firmly believe its a balance between pushing yourself a bit but not overdoing it.

on the bike the seat should be at the height where you knee has some bend in it when your foot is in the pedal and pedal at lowest point. see below for a way go get to point safely where you get the rotation and akways warm up first on something like treadmill or cross trainer.

and even once you get the rotation always start with some forward and back partial rotations till you feel yep i am ready to push thru!

imageimage

• Posted

by the way i laughed like a drain at the 'one to two weeks' bit in that but don't be dismayed by that and otherwise its good advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.