A teacher returning to work after THR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I am new to this forum and am due to have a THR in the next few months.I teach 6 and 7 year olds which is quite hectic and like most teachers I work long hours (10 plus a day) . 

Can anyone give me any advise on returning to work after my op and how long I should have off. I know it will be a bad time for my op as its SATs test but I want to make sure I am fully well before returning. Can anyone give me a rough idea as to how many weeks. Thanks I will definately be using this great forum.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I work in an infant school office and my consultant didn't want me to go back until 12 weeks. I thought I would be ready before that but he ended up being right, I wasn't ready until then.

Good luck

Sarah

• Posted

At least twelve weeks possibly 16 weeks to be fully well would be my estimation. 

Good luck I hope it all goes well for you. Do check in on here if you have any questions.

• Posted

I would say you should 100% give yourself a minimum of 3 months off!! If you are able to go for a bit longer but no less! Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Spring,

I got 'retired off' from teaching nusery age because I was a off sick a year before I got to diagnosis and first hip op in June 15 (next one in 4 weeks). My consultant endorsed my retirement because of the floorwork I did previously and a new joint has limitations. It's not all doom and gloom though! You will definitely need the 3 months off especially with the job you do. For once you have to give in and let your body heal and you will find that fatigue is the main thing you battle after.

I used my enforced retiirement to start something new and life is truly fabulous now!!!!

• Posted

Hi Spring, 

warm welcome to the best Hippie forum in the world - a very diverse group from all over the world - Peronal stories are shared, the good, not so good and sucky times as well as all victories no matter how small...

I see that you already received valuable responses - 

Not to scare you, but THR is major surgery - we all heal differently, physically, emotionally, mentally - 3 months sounds about right - maybe sooner if you'd go fased return or part time - 

Yes, do come back here when you have any questions or concerns.

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I teach 3rd grade in the US and I took 12 weeks off- and then worked half days for a week after that. Teaching little ones is HARD when you are 100% so make sure you take the time you need. I've been back a month and still have days where I'm in a bit of pain and exhausted- but so much better than before surgery.
  • Posted

I had my first replacement in my 40s in June and returned to work teaching infants after the summer hols. I did recover quickly that time. I had my other hip done aged 62 and fortunately was retired - I would certainly have needed longer. So I suppose it all depends on how well you recover and that could be down to many different factors. - age, the severity of your condition pre op, the op itself etc
  • Posted

Welcome to the forum. I have only been here for a few days, but boy, I have learned so much!

My understanding is that, as a rile of thumb, three months off for physical, non-desk jobs.

The surgeon told me that:

a) I would be signed off work for three months;

b) I should not expect to be full fit for up to 9 months. 

My Manager said that I would then have several/many weeks of rehab after that.

And today is my last day at work befor my op! 

• Posted

Hi. I think you will definitely need 12 weeks off at least. I'm a secondary school teacher and have just gone back week 12 and it's geek very difficult. Ask for a phased return too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.