A teenage boy having a sharp pain in the heart side.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My son is 17 yo, he's been feeling sharp pain in the lower part of his left chest (Heart) for 3 years. It happens every couple of days or weeks "WHILE RESTING", and lasts for 15 minutes. Sometimes it's so sharp that he finds difficulty breathing. At the same time, he can left heavy stuff or practice in gym for an hour without feeling pain other than the usual for someone who hasn't been active for years. What can this be? Unstable angina? But he can do exercise without feeling pain. (The pain sometimes might come after he rested well or might not come at all ).

Can this be related to puberty? 

Note: He is so skinny and has not been active since a very young age. 

We plan to pay the doctor a visit in Feb. 2018.

Is this an emergency so we should seek help before it gets and worse and became a life-threatening problem?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

This can be tricky to diagnose if it is non-obstructive, Microvascular Dysfunction. Although it is slightly more common in women (60% vs 40% men) and especially older women? I have experienced quite a few men and even younger men (20s) who suspect they had it longer. Many of us can trace symptoms to when we were in our teens that would come and go. 

Often symptoms of angina at rest or after exertion, can point to Coronary Spasms as a culprit. This is typically trial and error treatment as it can be hard to ‘see’ it in testing. A CCB (calcium channel blocker) like diltiazem helps calm them. 

It is not common but could be the issue. Most cardiologists would put him through the typical testing and checking off all average boxes first. Trying the treatment (what may help it can help point to what is wrong) or having a stress cMRI (cardiac MRI) preferably with at least a 3T machine (not a 1T!) could show a ‘blushing’ that points to microvessels having difficulty opening due to Coronary Spasm or constriction.

His symptoms are exactly how I first presented. I was a very fit healthy-otherwise, 40yr old who had no blood test signs or typical cardiac testing signs of cardiac disease. You need to advocate. If it indeed is a Microvascular and/or Spasm issue? Find a doc to take it seriously. It is only just gaining more clinical awareness. There are many questions to how this may be but if you have auto immunity issues in your family, it may be partly why this could fit as a diagnosis for his symptoms.

Good luck. I do moderate a private support group on Facebook so I have seen many types of this. You can also check out lots of published info on our public page for awareness titled:

Coronary Microvascular Disease- Non-Obstructive CAD

you can message me from that page. If I can help you in any way, I would be happy to. I know how frustrating this is. And like anything prompt respected treatment is vital. In this scenario we can’t see damage until there is already too much of it.

Best to you and your son. Keep searching.

Annette Pompa 

• Posted

Thank you so much Annette. I will contact you on FB.

Again, Thanks alot. People like you make this place a useful resource to others. 

Please, keep being helpful and awesome. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.