A tip for new mirtazapine users...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was prescribed this drug when in the deepest, darkest, treatment-resistant depression ever. The (very wise) doc I was seeing started me on 7.5 mg only. This not only made me sleep like there was no tomorrow (I had been almost total insomniac for months) but also lifted me out of depression in spectacular fashion. So I stayed on that dose for about 2 months and then just stopped. Now I'm not saying the experience will be the same for you, but merely an advice to watch the dosage - if you can keep it down then the side-effects will be much reduced, apart from the weight gain which seems to come irrespective of dose!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I will have to agree with you Dr Dave!! I started on 15mg (yes, gained weight). I was doing okay but my GP upped the dose to the "normal" 30mg. It seems like a lot of doctors follow some etched in stone rule about constantly upping doses!! I just did not do well on that dose!! I went back down to 15mg, did have a bit of withdraw even just going down 1/2 dose, but that only lasted a couple of days. I've also been on 22.5mg and even that was too much. I've added exercise and B12, Vitamin D and Magnesium. It's all helped! I guess we each know our own bodies and my advice is, if you're doing well on the lower dose TALK to you doctor, let him/her know how you're feeling, and, like me, if you have to, tell your doctor you won't go up on the dosage. Doctors mean well and yes, we need them, but I think we all really need to research things and educate ourselves on what exactly they are having us put in our bodies!!!
  • Posted

I am glad you have worked things out for you on a lower dose - the other factor of keeping it down is also dependency will be much reduced, thereby easing things when it comes time to stop. Oh and the weight does come off again fairly quickly once you are off, as long as you watch diet and get some moderate exercise.
  • Posted

I'm sure most dr's would drop a dose at the drop of a hat if they had to endure the side affects of increase of dose....2weeks on 30mg from 22.5 sheer hell this is not living...very intesting your view on vitamins...i am cittently taking multi vits off g.p need to know what's in them and whats not i
  • Posted

I'm not sure that my deepest darkest depression would last only two months. It took me a few years to get 

ver the loss of my niece. But I do agree to stay very low on this medication as the physical side affects and withdrawal are horrid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.