A twist on Librium with alcohol alternative?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was wondering thoughts. Quick background is I have been in 13 rehabs, that should be enough to not have to say anymore as I am a true drinker.  Here's the deal.  I AM going to die if I don't stop. Period, and possibly soon.

I have done the home taper once with great results and recently got a large quantity of Librium subscribed so I can do it again as I have been drinking heavy lately.  I am on day 3 now and need a drink bad.  I do NOT want to get hooked on both as of course that is a bad idea.

My thought was, since I will die anyway ifI keep on drinking and have such a large supply of Librium now, how bad can it be to alternate days of each until I taper off completely?  

For instance, I had the 2 days of Librium and did not take my morning dose on purpose.  I also have not drank during those days.  I think I can make it until 5 pm tonight to drink and the Librium would then be out of my system for roughly 20 hours.  Tonight I drink as minimal as possible, then see how I feel tomorrow.  If I need nothing then GREAT!  If I need to pop one 25 mg of Librium at some point in the afternoon the alcohol will be out of my system.  Repeat process on a day by day basis as long as I am giving 12 to 24 hours between switches.

Do remember this is not for an instant detox to stop alcohol immediately.  It is to prolong my life and I will not be doing this for a long time, perhaps just a month or two.

The scary part is that you know us heavy drinkers and I could end up getting addicted to both.  A possible great side is that I might be leaving enough time between the 2 where eventually I am not dependent on either, while at the same time giving vital organs more time to recover.  Additionally I think on some days I might actually want to get out and exercise instead of feeling nasty or paranoid all day.

Last side note is while my pancreas is my main issue, my liver levels are only slightly elevated.  Again, I understand mixing both at the same time is a very bad idea and that is not my plan, I was just wondering about anything that might be wrong with alternating them with enough time in between each until eventually you are off of both?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I also wanted to follow up with would this be bad or possibly better for a persons receptors for Librium getting filled, eventually making Librium useless.  To me, as long as it was done for short term only it seems like it would be easier on the receptors, particularly if on my non drinking days I had low dosages.
  • Posted

I think you should talk to a doctor about this - or at the very least, a pharmacist.  None of us are medically trained here and so cannot offer you the 'go-ahead' for this, which is what you seem to be looking for someone to tell you.

You also need a plan of action for once the alcohol is out of your system for good.  Just staying away from alcohol doesn't seem to have been previously successful for you with 13 rehab trips already in the bag.

• Posted

Well, this is meant to be serious but that also includes 20 years in and out of the rooms of AA.  So what is possibly left?  What is your suggestion?  Yes I have been on Campral and Naltrexone as well, so there basically are no other plans of action.  Look, all I was seeing is if anyone tried anything like this as on paper it does not seem that bad, but as you said we are not trained professionals.  I understand that and am not expecting approval from anyone here, just seeing if anyone might have ran across a study or something or tried it personally.

I have a plan I will try and report back, but like AA works for some, if what I do works it not might work for others.  Again, cysts on your pancreas are not good, so just bouncing ideas as there are so many threads on here of people drinking while on the Librium.  That is what I am trying.  It seems logical that if I drink everyday my pancreas will soon explode, so many days off might help for a couple weeks until I can take an extended time off.

• Posted

If you have taken naltrexone and tried to remain abstinent, then yes, it doesn't work very well that way (not much better than placebo).

Have you tried naltrexone taken as per The Sinclair Method?

• Posted

Hi there

I'm not a doc so cannot advise you. I can only say that OH was given strict instructions not to take chlodrapoxide (Librium) whilst drinking. Having days on and then days off I would argue would not work as this stuff stays in your system.

Please see a doc

Kind regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Thank you everyone for the responses.  I have tried the Sinclair method as well and I know about the half life and full life time of Librium in your system.  Look, I am not looking for someone to say go ahead and do it.  Heck, if you listen to people on the internet then you are crazy.  Obviously though this is not going the direction though and that was simply looking for positives and negatives of possible outcomes for what might get someone much more healthy in the short term.  It is obviously better than those that drink on full Librium detox doses.  

I can tell already this is going to be one of those that just goes back and forth without a true discussion going on topic and too many facts will get ignored.  I am going to try it out in a couple hours as I have been off the Librium for nearly 20 now.  My plan is to not get wasted and hopefully feel bad enough to where I need nothing or if my anxiety is sky high pop just one 25 capsule and not drink a drop tomorrow.  Then go from there and hopefully in a week or two I will be at the point to stop both.  And yes, I have my own cuff so I monitor my vitals all the time.  Should some crazy numbers come up then off I go.  I have a feeling this might work though and if nothing it will give me a few days off off booze once in a while.

Thank you all again but it seems like this topic is not going over well.  Who know, maybe I will discover a new method even better than Sinclair

• Posted

Hiya so sorry you feel that way but in all honesty we are just trying to give some advice. Well I know, I’m just saying as it is we only do what we hope will help. Talking to another with the same problems might just trigger a good reaction. Hope you do well
  • Posted

You should not mix benzos (Librium) and alcohol, there are good reasons for it. Librium should make it easy enough for you to come off alcohol completely. I can't see this plan ending well.

• Posted

The point of having been prescribed Librium was to get the alcohol out of your system.

it will help with any withdrawal symptoms you may have and to prevent possible seizures.

Youve got the chance of a home detox with a high dose of Librium, so why compromise this opportunity by hitting the bottle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.