A very good endoscopy experience

Posted , 2 users are following.

I hope this post will help others who may be worried sick about having an endoscopy.  I worried for a week prior to my endoscopy of today and it was totally needless.  I am aware that each person will react differently and I can only state my experience which was with sedation. I was scared stiff of having a tube down my throat simply because of the gagging so I told each nurse I dealt with and the doctor this.  I requested as much sedation as they were able to give and they gave me both throat spray (banana flavoured!) and sedation.  It was over SO quickly!  I went in, the doctor fitted the canula and sprayed twice in my mouth.  I laid down on my side looking at the screen thinking it would be interesting to see my insides on the big screen.  I had a small mouthpiece put in my mouth and then the doctor put the sedatuve into the canula.  Well......the next thing I knew I was being woken up after the best sleep ever and it was over!  All that worry was for nothing!  I came home and had a great two hour sleep and then a hearty meal.  My throat is not sore and I have no bloating as they did not pump me full of air.  Mine was obviously a simple investigation and no proceedure was carried out at the time.  

Everyone is different, but if you are worried as I was I hope my experience of today will help you.  If you have sedation you will need to have someone with you for 24 hours and certainly not drive!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thank you so much Jenny, I have mine 5th October and it's making me ill worrying, I have read so many nasty reviews on here so yours came with a lot of appreciation, thank you so much 😀

• Posted

I was just like you Lynn, I literally made myself ill the week prior to my endoscopy.  I found that it was very useful to tell every nurse and doctor I came into contact with on the day just how much I was dreading the proceedure.  I asked them to give me as much sedation as they were allowed so they gave me the throat spray first - which tastes quite nice - and then I immediately lay down and was told that they would put in the sedation.  That is all I remember!  I suggest you ask for the maximum sedation as I did, but you will definitely need someone with you for 24 hours until it wears off.   I now have to have another endoscopy but I feel very chilled about it this time.  Do let me know how it goes. All the very best, Jenny
  • Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, I wish you best of luck with your next one too, thanks again 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.