A very vague osteoarthritis diagnosis, what should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

29 year old female here, a little overweight, but currently in the process of shifting it to try and sort these issues!

So, at the end of last year, I went to my GP with issues with my hip and knees. Hip generally clicky, a constant ache, it's been like that since I was a teenager, about 11 years or so. Knees grind, click, I get a searing pain behind my kneecap when I walk on it sometimes. GP referred me to a rheumatologist. Saw them in January, and they did all the usual bending me about stuff and had X Rays of hip and lower back done.

I should have had a follow up in March, but due to the coronavirus chaos, I only had a phonecall, understandable, and to my surprise, I have osteoarthritis in my back. I'm also apparently mildly hypermobile, which came as a surprise.

So, I had a letter through the post about 2 weeks after my phonecall, confirming the diagnosis of "Moderate Arthritis" and referring me to physio, and discharging me from the Rheumatology department.

Now, I'm slightly baffled, because in my head, moderate arthritis in a 29 year old to me seems baffling. I've been given no information on how this has has come about, could it be related to my mild hypermobility I also had no inkling about?? I only had x rays of my lower spine, if it's there, couldn't that also be the problem with my knees, that has gone largely ignored? And for the past week, I've started having a lot of pain and stiffness in my upper back and shoulders too. I understand the current pressures on the NHS, and I'm grateful that my issues were even looked into in the first place, I just feel a little bit abandoned and at a loss as to what the long term implications of this are, the causes could be, and the further damage there could be that hasn't been looked into.

So, what should I do? Should I try for another referral to rheumatology, or wait until I see the physio and explain further problems to them?

Sorry for the essay, I'm confused and feel a little alone in all this!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

I've reported your other post as a duplicate so hopefully you'll get all replies on one thread.

It is confusing. I must tell you, though, that I think I've had osteoarthritis since I was a child or teenager, in my neck and in my feet, related probably to incorrect alignment or something. These have never got better, and I now have extensive OA in my lumbar spine, hands and, apparently in my knees. However I mange quite well. I'm now in my early 70s and was officially diagnosed when I was 40 when I developed OA in my hands.

I recommend you follow through with the physio appointment and make sure you tell the therapist about your knee problems as well. When you are given your exercises you will probably find them extremely boring. I do. But over the years I have accumulated physio exercises for all my afflicted joints and I have to say they, plus yoga and generally keeping active, have kept me in remarkably fit shape all things considered.

I do take glucosamine sulfate (in a capsule not a hard pill) twice a day. It isn't a painkiller and many doctors will say it doesn't work. I think it's because it is a longterm therapy which helps to maintain cartilage regeneration so clinical trials don't observe patients over the long period of half a lifetime. On that subject, all the NSAIDs (including aspirin) interfere with cartilage regeneration so if you are tempted to take them for OA discomfort, try not to. Keep them for the occasional headache or other temporary acute need.

You will be better off in the long run if you learn to live with the symptoms of OA, and devote energy to strengthening the muscles which support your joints - that's what the physio will do. You'll have to do the physio exercises for the rest of your life, but as a thirty year veteran of this I can assure you it's worth it. A podiatrist I saw for my wretched nails and callouses was quite astonished at how much mobility I had in my feet. He did not expect to see that. So I have obviously been doing something right.

As for your age, do your exercises, eat good food and if you are overweight try to get that down a little as it will lower stress on joints. On the other hand a little excess poundage helps to protect against developing osteoporosis in later years, so don't worry too much about the weight. If you eat right and exercise regularly you should be able to maintain range of motion and avoid too many episodes of back pain.

• Posted

Thankyou so much, that's fantastic advice, and thanks for reporting my duplicate! I did double click as i didn't think my post had posted!!

I do yoga, and expect physio will be similar movements to some of the gentler yoga sessions. I shall take all of your advice on board, you've been very helpful, thankyou 😃

• Edited

Good luck! As Linda says, you'll get used to the condition and find ways of coping. Mostly, be kind to yourself, and live sensibly.

Yoga is a good thing to do, and I took up tai chi a couple of years ago, also helpful. Both keep our muscles strong and help to maintain our range of motion. 😃

• Posted

I'm repeating an earlier reply as it does not appear and I see a duplicate of the original post has been deleted. Versus Arthritis is the UK charity for all types of arthritis. They have a help line and lots of booklets and info which might help you understand your condition more.

• Posted

Thanks Linda, I had seen your comment 😃 I hadnt even heard of them, thankyou so much, I'll have a look into them x

• Posted

You're welcome. Good luck. You do get used to the condition and find different ways of coping but it might just be a blip. I have OA in several joints (I am older than you) but it's not constant pain, it fluctuates.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.