A Veteran in need of a friend for the day...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good Morning Everyone...For those that live in America, Happy Memorial Day Weekend...For those that served in the Military, either here in America or abroad, thank you very much for sacrificing your life for those around you...I am a Veteran of the United States Army, and even though I never served during a war time situation, I am treated as if I never served...That's besides the fact, I am all alone this weekend, as the amount of my friends has dwindled to nothing...I normally don't make such posts, as I don't like to burden others with my problems...I am better at helping others in need then seeking help myself...I am Bipolar...as I normally don't let it effect me and I work very hard everyday at beating this occurance in my life...I don't let it dictact my life, It is a part of my make up and who I am, though...I am very proud of myself for the obstacles that I have overcome, it is just I am very lonely this weekend and was wondering if somebody would be so kind to be my friend for a day...

6 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the UK and have great admiration for

Soldiers past and present regardless of

Service, happy memorial weekend to you😊

• Posted

Hello Moggie,  If it helps i am alone for today and tomorrow, i will neither see or speak to anyone.  My daughters have their own busy lives and nobody will visit.  I am partially disable so cannot go far.  You will find that lots of people are alone and yes it drags.  I will be on here later also so if you want to leave a message i will get back to you.  Have you a good film you can get engrossed in.  I am not even bothering to get dressed,  i will find a film to watch, have a few snacks, healthy nuts not chocolate and hopefully the time will fly by.  Tomorrow i will pamper myself, put a colour on my hair and tidy the flat.  Tues will be back to normal.  If you can go for a walk, if you have a garden sit with a book, a drink whatever makes you happy, have a relaxing day. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth...my nieces name is the same...such a pretty name...I'm sorry you're all alone as well...it doesn't make me feel better to see others in the same predictament as myself...I don't like seeing others hurting...I did occupy my day with chores around my house, I went to church, I finished the book I was reading, but I want to have fun just like everybody else...it's just a lonely existence to the start of summer...
    • Posted

Hello again,  I know what you mean about being alone.  Do you not have church friends you could do things with.  Over here we have local meet ups where people of all ages get together for meals or walks etc.  I don't know weather you have anything like that where you are.  Do you have children of your own to visit.  I watched my film and read a little.  Tomorrow will be much the same.  I am looking forward to having my grandchildren on Wednesday, they are 3 1/2 and 14 months.  They keep me young haha.  

Glad you kept busy.  Could you do some voluntary work where you would meet people.  

Elizabeth.

• Posted

No church friends, I go by myself...I do volunteer with 3 organizations, but either they are too young or older then I am...I have no children and have never been married...this weekend I'm just feeling isolated and worthless...I entitle myself to feel this way once in a blue moon...I hope you enjoy your evening, as I know it's 9:30 over there...my younger brother just moved to London a year ago...my family is so spread out...
    • Posted

I have two friends and they are always too busy to include me in anything...I know I'm pretty sad excuse for a human being...
    • Posted

Oh Moggie,  Why do the church people not invite you to things that's not good.  Please don't feel worthless,  you have as much value as anybody you sound such a likeable person.  What a shame your friends do not include you.  I have felt like this with my family and friends at times, because we are single we don't get invites. ( i was widowed at 29 ). I feel like you at times,  i don't fit in with young families, older people and doesn't seem to be people my age now 58 that are single.  However i have 2 daughters and 2 grandchildren.  I am a useful baby sitter,  but i rarely get asked to socilise with them. Anytime you want to chat here people are around, i am here most days.  

Take care. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Some folks say life is what you make of it. They do not understand the different life styles or pattern or the what evers. I can be with family and still feel alone. I have very few friends, in fact sometmes  I really don't know what to talk about when around the two or three I have. About fifty years ago when I was walking around about midnight while stationed in Germany, there I was on a bridge in the middle of Rhein just watching the water flow. I was all of twenty years old when a German fellow started handing his stuff to me, told me if I could use it keep it if not give it away. My German language skills were ok. I told him I would be no part of whatever he was planning to do. I guess I said the right thing next which was how about if I bu you one last drink then you do what you like with life. He said ok. We walked off the bridge to a near by Gast Haus and sat there drinkng beer. I gave him all of his stuff back, in the light I saw it was an American passport. I said we can speak English since I too am American. He had a long story of gulit from what he had done in WW2. We sat there for like five hours, the onwer locked the doors and we talked. About six of us. I was the only young one. When day light cam I excused myself to get back to where I had to be. Time went by I did not see that guy until like about 30 years went by. I had come back to US then went back to visit and sort of drifted to the old spot I had lived. There was that Gast Haus and I went in. There was the American and one of the guys from that night. One American and one German for all they know they had shot at each other and missed on purpose. Now they had become friends and lived with each other.   I was very happy for them. Life is too short even if you live to be 100, enjoy what you can while you can. 
  • Posted

It is not a burden at all moggie.  I live alone and often feel very lonely.  I live in the UK.  Your country should be proud of you for serving in the military. 

Many of us here are alone so it is nice to talk to others in a similar situation.  I find loneliness hard to deasl with.  I have lived alone for 30 yeards and am in my 70s now.  I never did anything heroic or had an importsant job.  I di bring up two children, but my marriage failed.  I think that was due to me having depression.  So we all struggle on as best we can.

Thank goodness for this forum and the lovely kind people here, who are willing to talk to strangers and support them. 

Yes you should be proud of yourself for surmounting the obstacles in your life. 

I would love to be your friend today and always.  Keep writing here.  I could do with friends too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.