A week in - Horrible anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys,

I started Lexapro about a week ago, first starting with 1.25 / 2.5 for a few days, now I am on my 4th pill of 5mg. I have been hit with the worst anxiety I have experienced in 3 years, since the spawn of my real anxiety symptoms. The first days on 1.25 I was fine, pretty pumped that I was finally starting an SSRI to help treat depression and a bit of anxiety.

Now on 5mg I just feel awful. The world feels like a scary place, I'm getting stuck in deep rumination cycles, fighting off panic attacks, can physically feel the anxiety in my chest. I've also lost weight and my appetite. I have no desire to do anything because I am too anxious. I've begun losing hope, will I ever get back to my state 7 months ago, or even 2 weeks ago, when my anxiety wasn't at this level? 

I'm really not sure what I should do guys. My doctors appointment is on Sunday, 3 days away. If I was to withdraw use of this medication immediately, am I subject to withdrawals, being only a 9 days or so in? People also say this period passes after 3-4 weeks? Holy. I may do something stupid in that time. And after that 3-4 weeks what happens? It slowly gets better? My anxious thoughts vanish into thin air? This medication is bringing up anxiety I experienced 3 years ago, the worst time of my life. I cannot believe how much better I felt before starting this medication. I honestly don't know if I can keep going with Lexapro. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I was in the same situation. I was prescribed lexapro eventhough I had manageable anxiety and no depression. I also started low and was hit with the worst anxiety and panic. Couldn’t sleep and had no appetite. And depression set in. I am on month 3 and I’m ok now but it took awhile. The side effects do wear off and you should start feeling better in about 2-4 weeks. I do want to mention that I started on supplements and magnesium is a godsend. I don’t know if the lexapro is what’s making me better or the addition of magnesium and other supplements. Honestly, I regret starting this lexapro because my anxiety wasnt that bad. I cannot wait til I wean off and just carry on with my supplements. You should look into that but definitely ask your doctor first. Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Kris,

I will look into magnesium, there's also a few others I'm looking at like L-Theanine / Phenibut.  Yes, my state before Lexapro was actually pretty mild anxiety I must say looking back. The real reason I went on it was for depression / lack of motivation in life, also I had started obsessive thinking (mostly at night) again so I thought I would tackle it with an SSRI this time. Boy do I regret that right now.

• Posted

Kris.. I started Lex on Dec312017 got up to 15 mg. And had to start cutting back because of side effects.. I’m still on 5 mg. and the  bad side effects r almost gone but I’m like u I will cut back even more toward Fall when my grands r in school.. I care for them durning the summer for my daughter.. I was wanting to know what combination of supplements do u take and how long after taking them did u see a different...Thanks for the info in advance...😊

• Posted

Hi Nickie,

I’m taking only taking magnesium right now but I have fish oil (Nordic Naturals) and others waiting for when I start to wean.  I felt the magnesium work immediately. I started with Epsom salt baths and was shocked how good I felt after. I’m doing magnesium pills now and they are great. 

• Posted

Gooo moring Kris..I would like to ask you something!

You mean that you battled anxiety only with magnesioum and fish oil? What is the dose of magnesium? One peel per day? I am asking you, because I have not much of anxiety, its just an everyday intrusive thought that cause me stress but now less than the past. I have tried twice to make a therapy with Lexapro but I had not the results I expected with anxiety...and now I am wondering what to do...to continue with a bit of benzo when I face difficulty? To beginn 5mg of Escitalopram again with? or just take magnesium and see? Thank you for your response! Be well!

• Posted

Good Morning,

I’m still on lexapro because dr advised that I stay on it a couple of months more. I don’t know if it’s the combination of lexapro and magnesium, but I know that once I started magnesium I felt a ton better.   Try an Epsom salt bath and see if you notice a change in your anxiety. I know I did and it was immediate. I started researching  magnesium benefits and found out most of us is deficient and that deficiency can cause anxiety/panic. I would speak with your doctor first to make sure you can take it, but it’s been good for me. 

• Posted

Hi again, I just checked my 3 monghs ago blood test.  Normal magnesium is from 1,5-2,5 and mine was 1,95, so it is in the normal level. So I ask my doctors if causes problem to take additional. I will also check the Epsom salt bath. 

For the time being, I will try for 3rd time to give a chance to Escitalopram. I started again yesterday from 5mg and if it needs i will also take a bit of tranxene (benzo), because I know and have felt how strong side effects it has.

When you begun Lexaro, I assum that the first month you also took some benzos or not?

• Posted

yes, my dr gave me a benzo when I realized the Lexapro gave me more anxiety and I wasn't sleeping.  I think I took it 3 times and one of those times, I slept for 17 hrs!.  I no longer take that benzo because I am sleeping again. Like I stated, I don't know if it's the combo of the Lexapro and magnesium, or just the magnesium, but I am much calmer now and sleeping better. 

• Posted

I started taking magnesium about a week ago. It doesn't seem to help with my anxiety, but I did notice the muscle aches in my legs I've had at night for the past 3-4 years have totally disappeared! For that reason alone, I plan on continuing to take the supplement.

• Posted

Hi Ppatrick,I know how it is,I am taking lexapro 15mg up from 10mg 3 weeks now.I started on Prozac 20 mg but had some GI issues after 5 weeks, (it did help with the anxiety)so the Psych Doctor switched me to lexapro,he also prescribed a small amount of klonopin .125mg in the morning and the afternoon and .25mg at night time until the lexapro levels out and the anxiety issues are better,this combination works pretty well for me and I haven't needed to take the afternoon dose of klonopin.Yes it does take about 4 weeks to feel a difference and you are on a low dose so that is good for you.Only take what your doctor prescribes.This whole thing is unbelievable and so many people suffer with anxiety.Try to find a good therapist to talk to as well as your doctor,mine was such a great help.Hang in there and let me know how you are doing good luck.God Bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.