A week into Citalopram feel hopeless.

Posted , 5 users are following.

So last Monday I went to my G.P with severe depression/anxiety. He gave me 10mg Citalopram as well as Zopiclone to help sleeping. So a week in and I'm on my last dose of Zopiclone tonight and the Citalopram is making me even more anxious/worried, can't stop thinking and worrying. I know it's early days but still can't switch off and worried about not sleeping again.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The side effects are horrible, they made me even more anxious too and caused me to have palpitations and panic attacks in the first couple if weeks. That went after a couple of weeks, I've been on them for about 6 weeks now and my anxiety has improved. You just need to stick with them and the improvemts will show after a while. Hope they're better for you soon, I'd suggest if they aren't within another couple of weeks that you go discuss it with your GP. Good luck 
  • Posted

Hi Phillip. Welcome to the forum. Great that you have visited your GP and talked about your illness - it is a positive start and believe me when I say that you have started your journey to recovery.

The side effects of your citalopram may feel unbearable but it will get easier within the next 7 days - your body is adapting to the new levels of serotonin. Lack of sleep is dreadful when we are feeling down, but, you will start sleeping again, so try not to worry (easier said than done). Give the drug a chance because it can make a difference. Believe that you will get better and that this is 'a phase'.

Has your GP recommended that you start CBT? - this is available on the NHS. If you can afford it, I would seek out a CBT therapist in your area to have an initial review and help you how to 'manage your automatic negative thoughts'. With CBT, you can begin to understand your thoughts and how they influence your behaviour. 

Be kind to yourself in the coming weeks - it is tough going through anxiety & depression. Try to take small steps to make yourself feel a bit better - eat well (bananas, cashews, milk, yogurt, fish), find some relaxation time (read a good book, watch something that makes you laugh), connect with the important person/friends in your life. Before you know it, you'll be setting yourself some monthly challenges that make you feel a sense of achievement.

take it easy Phillip and best wishes for the future that awaits you!

sleepy crow smile

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! I have a phone assessment with a counsellor on the 5th Nov, then will book a face to face meeting. Just finding it hard to stop negative thoughs and feelings of anxiety at the moment. They seem to have increased with the medication? 
  • Posted

It does feel like it's getting worse before it gets better at times. It takes a while for the antidepressants to take effect and the side effects often stop people taking them.

This illness is horrendous Phillip but we are not alone. So many others are going through the same or have been through the same and come out the other side happier and stronger than ever. 

It takes time and sometimes it will sap you of all your strength but the good thing is,that little tablet is still doing its job. Some people feel better in weeks,others it takes months but little by little things improve. Try and not worry about yesterday or tomorrow,think of getting through today and it makes it less overwhelming. Thoughts of the future will come naturally as you move further into your recovery. 

Find people you trust to talk too and just take each day as it comes. If it's a rubbish day,accept it and just do whatever you need to do to get through it. Each day is a day closer to being like your old self.

Remember we are here for you. You do not have to go through this alone xx

• Posted

Thank you! Just having a bad couple of days and in a black hole. Mind constantly ticking over about things.., thanks again for your support! 
  • Posted

Hi Phillip.

yes, the citalopram can make your anxiety feel worse but this won't last. Tell yourself that your body is adapting and that you will get through this. Really great that you have a phone assessment with a CBT assessor really soon.

i know how difficult it is when your brain plagues you with non-stop anxious thoughts. It is worth trying to manage your thoughts - you will get better with this with practice.

firstly - get yourself a notebook and write down everything that is bothering you. Then tomorrow, schedule a 'specific worry time slot' and put your thoughts on paper again.

CBT will help you to understand your thoughts and help you to challenge anything that is not true.

If the anxious thoughts are really bad - then you must do something to distract yourself - dance to music, go for a run etc

Be kind to yourself and remember that if you can make a small step forward every week, you must acknowledge your progress and be proud of yourself. With anxiety - we always underestimate our capability and strength.

worth having a look on the web for success stories in anxiety management - people do recover and hearing about these successes may help you.

have a look at 'mood juice', 'beatingtheblues' and the NHS pages on anxiety & depression

take it easy and try your best to believe that you can get better (you will - you just need some time)

Sleepy-C smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.