A year for TKR on Oct. 19th with issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

It will be a year for my L. TKR on Oct. 19th and I still have issues. Since no cement was used in my implants, the bone has to fill in to stabilize the bone/implant. My bend is 120/125 and straight-0. My concern is when I set at the computer at a 90 degree angle, my tibia feels sore/aches down to the calf. When I get up, I have to get my footing, limp for a minute or two until I get moving; same when resting. It is as if I feel the implant going down my tibia, a soreness. Just an occasional ES Tylenol helps. I'm aware of the implant when I rest or sit. Will it ever feel normal again? I do not want to see my ortho, because I do not ever plan on another TKR!!! I might someday have to get an x-ray just to see how things healed/are healing.

So tired of doctors. Expecting more.....kinda wished I had not had the TKR. Still do my exercises ever so often.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a LTKR May 2, 2017. No cement was used and I've had x rays at the 3 and 5 month checkups to make sure it has not shifted. So far so good. I had some post op complications so my extension was 50 degrees two months ago and now using a JAS brace, PT, massage therapy and now have a 23 degree extension and 105 degree flexion. I'm still in a wheelchair so your story gives me hope. The surgeon did check the clicking I feel when bending my joint and he said I will always have that clicking. Stiffness is normal after a period of inactivity. I feel the most stiffness in the morning and movement helps. I will be happy to be mobile. My right knee is painful, the orhto have me a cortisone shot yesterday since Medicare requires failing cortisone before they approve Synvisc injections. A friend has successfully used Synvisc for two years, getting an injection every 6 months and it's working for him. After the complications of this surgery, I will do everything to avoid TKR on the right. I understand your feelings. But there is research into stem cells thT looks very hopeful and once it gets FDA approval, may be covered by insurance. Consider getting x rays to check positioning and talk to your surgeon. Take a list of all your questions to your appointment. Good luck! You're doing great!

• Posted

I had 8 Synvisc One injections, starting in 2009 and one cortisone injection this past Sept. 2, 2016. I had exhausted my options. Maybe I will make an appointment with the ortho for X-rays to see if the implants have shifted. I don't know what he would do if things shifted because I do not plan to go back under the knife, EVER!!! Thank you Laurel for your response. Why did you go cementless? I was allergic to the cement.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear the Synvisc stopped working for you...like you I am trying my best to delay surgery in the hopes that stem cell, PPS injections which in Australia has been found to help knees, but are not available in the US, or another alternative to surgery is available. A certain amount of weight bearing is required for bones to heal. Low electrical stimulation has also been shown to stimulate bone healing. Your flexion and extension numbers are great!!!Have you considered supplements to support healing? It's been tough being in a wheelchair for five months! I have a lot of allergies which is why cement was not used. My post op complications were from allergic reactions to dermabond, aquaseal or the chlorhexadine sponges used to scrub the knee causing swelling, weeping, blisters, etc I couldn't weight bear or move my leg within five days after surgery. The artificial joint is hypoallergenic. But I have become aware there are many who suffer more than I have, so I am dealing with the hand I've been dealt and searching for ways to heal. Recent research indicates inflammation can exacerbate knee pain- eliminating sugar, red meat, grains etc. reduces inflammation and I have noticed reducing those foods improve my joint comfort. Best wishes to you

• Posted

Hi 

?I read your post, and feel for you. Just a little about myself, I underwent double knee surgery on both legs in one go 5 months ago. The surgeon did not even give me an option, all I was told is to manage the pain, otherwise the body first fights the pain, then works on recovery. My bend is 120/125 and straight-0, about the same as yours, to me your bend is very good. I still use a good anti-inflammatory every other day and it helps with the pain, just be careful not to take too much anti-inflammatory drugs it tends to push blood pressure up over a period of time.    

?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.