AA

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm thinking about going to AA now as I think my drinking has got out of control again.

Last time I quit, which was for over a year, I completely went it alone.

Since relapsing I've been trying to do the same thing, but sheer willpower can't pull me through.

I looked into getting some medication online but that was turned down (I think because I've had seizures in the past).

I may talk to the GP about it but, this being England, I have doubts whether I'd be prescribed anything on the NHS.

Thinking about AA... Do you have to talk at the first meeting? I'm scared and don't want to talk about stuff in front of people, not until I feel comfortable. (I get really bad social anxiety) Do they insist you talk to the group? Anyone know how it works?

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I went to my first AA meeting last week and was astounded by how welcoming and friendly everyone was. No pressure to share on first meeting or ever but just bear in mind you only get out what you put in. If you take the step to go try to embrace the experience. I cried through the while meeting as it was hard but glad I went. Since going I've had a blip which I'm disappointed about. Get to the GP and warch for your first meeting.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Chloe, keep going...as you said to me "we can do this!". PM me to keep in touch so we can support each other through the ups and downs. X

• Posted

Hi, I live in England and I take antibuse(Disulfiram)

Prescribed by dr.

Can't drink at all on it or you'll be violently sick.

Keeps me off the drink no problem.

7 years sober 👍

• Posted

Hi Peter, I read your post to Matt. His question was "Wondering". Your answer had included all 12 of the principles of A.A. 

Honesty, Hope, Faith, Courage, Integrity, Willingness, Humility, Brotherly Love, Discipline,

Perseverance, Spiritual Awareness, Service.

These are the Principles of the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous if you read back thru your post every single one of the above principles are in the response you wrote to Mat. The use of these principles each day, are a big part of A.A. That can help you find the gift of sobriety.

On line Peter there is a - Introductory pamphlet describing the kind of people A.A. are and what A.A. has learned about alcoholism. 

There is a phamplet - An introduction to the A.A. recovery program.

Frequently asked questions about A.A.

Go online and read about the program there is a PDF available to read and then decide for yourself if this is a program for you. Make it your own experience. Everyone's experience is different. 

The Serenity Prayer from A.A. I have a lot of respect for because it has brought me peace over the years. Online there is a wonderful explanation for the meaning of this prayer and its longevity since the 1800's. I need to remind myself of these qualities every day because  I must try and live with the fact that my son has suffered 20 years from AUD and slowly dying from this disease. 

I hope this brings you and everyone who is suffering from AUD peace today! 

God grant me the serenity 

To accept the things I cannot change; 

Courage to change the things I can; 

And wisdom to know the difference. 

Living one day at a time; 

Enjoying one moment at a time; 

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; 

Taking, as He did, this sinful world 

As it is, not as I would have it; 

Trusting that He will make all things right 

If I surrender to His Will; 

So that I may be reasonably happy in this life 

And supremely happy with Him 

Forever and ever in the next.  

Amen

So I leave the decision up to you Peter whatever you can find to help you discover the coping tools to find sobriety, your own truths and experiences to lead to a place of peace, good health. 

Today is gone while tomorrow brings another day! The choice is yours and what method you find fits your needs the best. 

• Posted

Thanks for this great response. I'm really moved by reading the serenity prayer actually. I think I'd heard bits of it before.

The God thing doesn't bother me (though I am an agnostic) as I take it to mean 'the universal' - those things we can't comprehend that are bigger than us- I guess in the same way that you don't have to be religious or believe in a Creator God to find comfort from certain passages in the Bible, Koran etc.

I'm going to look into AA and read up a little more, maybe send them an email. I think it could be useful for me, the only thing that would stop me is a feeling that my problem isn't 'bad' enough (I know that sounds silly). The quantities I drink aren't enormous and, as of today at least, I am just about keeping it together with work etc. There's still a nagging voice in my head that says I should be able to just sort it out myself/pull myself together etc. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

• Posted

smile....your problem is bad enough.

The way to prove to yourself that your problem is NOT bad is see if you can go 30 days without a drink, without a struggle, without thinking of a drink all the time.  I would say you can't do it sad.

What they talk about in AA is the "yets"....you haven't had problems with your work "yet"...but it is apparant alcohol is causing you distress or you would not have found this forum.  And if you keep drinking and you are an alcoholic...the "yets" WILL come.  

The nagging voice in your head is your "pride"....when you are able to surrender yourself to accept that you are "sick" and need help is when you will feel "humbled" vs. "prideful" (is prideful a word?  LOL).

• Posted

You're right, I don't think I could go 30 days. I might begin with all good intentions but in a few days I'd think of an excuse.

Admitting I have a problem is a big step, I am hiding my issues - talking about it with no-one except on here. But this week, and with this thread, it's the first time I've opened my mind to the idea that maybe I could use AA - it's a start. Thanks again for your advice to me, and I'll definitely keep you updated.

• Posted

Good luck and you are in our thoughts...we can be your "temporary sponsors"..they talk about those in AA too.

Oh..and my higher power was Dunkin donuts coffee when I first got sober....i never would drink if I stopped and got that coffee..

• Posted

I didn't make it to AA, despite coming fairly close (hanging round the door hesitantly before a meeting). I basically talked myself out of it.

I'm back to drinking every day- a 6 month gradual slide back into highly committed drinking after 14 months of sobriety. My advice to anyone who has a period of sobriety - hold onto it, guard it with your life, you don't know how fragile and precious it is. 

• Posted

So. Feeling hungover again today but I'm going to try to get my mojo back. Perhaps I've been too ambitious these past few months (last time I gave up  - for five days - I promised myself I'd do a minimum of 90 days). So for now I'm going to do it one day at a time-  and say that for today at least I won't drink. Tomorrow is a whole different ball game. I'll do today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.