AA, just started. Could side effects start so quickly?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Took AA last Saturday. On Sunday night I felt fly achy. Muscle aches, chills, slightly feverish. I took an Alleve PM and that night and all week long I've had stomach pain. I thought it was the Aleeve since I've had problems before with taking it too soon before bedtime but it wouldn't hurt that long. Yesterday I took my second AA and tonight I get achy again with a headache, in fact my whole face felt tight and hurt a bit. I was hesitant to take thus drug but since my mother has stress fractures in her pelvic area and osteoporosis has shown up, it did feel like the right thing to do. I'm feeling worried now.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes it works that fast. I woke up the day after my first tablet, to aches and awful pains in strange places. I didn’t take any more tablets but the effects from that one lasted a full week and every day I had pains in different bones - collarbone, ribs etc etc and as you say, the overall feeling was fluey. I decided it wasn’t’t worth it and I returned them to the pharmacy and told my gp. I now take a calcium tablet and will have another scan in a year. 
    • Posted

Do you also take vitamin K2? You can check your vitamin D3 in your blood tests which is another one that impacts if not getting enough. Magnesium is another one to look at. There is a list of foods too that help support bones.

How bad were your tscores?

• Posted

No I haven't taken anything else. I was not aware of K2, just calcium and Vitamin D. I keep hearing conflicting stories about the benefits of taking calcium supplements when you are older. I don't think my tscores were too bad yet and I don't see any specific test for my vitamin D3 level.

• Posted

Vitamin D can be checked in your blood tests. Calcium can be checked as well.

Vitamin K2 aims the calcium onto the bones and out of the arteries so I consider it the most I,portent one to have.

Some good foods to have regularly include yoghurt, avocado, bony broth, 

prunes, leafy greens, fruit and vegetables in general. 

If you can manage some weight bearing exercise it helps as well. Build some muscle to help support your bones.

There is much you can do. All the best.

• Posted

I took AA for over a year. I don't remember when I started feeling achy, but I couldn't even raise my arm without feeling sore. I even went to physical therapy thinking I had injured my shoulder. After a few days when I stopped taking AA, I didn't feel the muscle aches and pain anymore. I'm currently taking Vitamin D3 and calcium supplements. I do have osteoporosis.

• Posted

Thank you, everybody for your input. I really appreciate them. I'm going to definitely check into the supplements. The flu symptoms seem to happen the day after my weekly dose but mostly disappear until the next week. It seems like most have gone off AA but I'm wondering if there are some that still take it and think it's working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.