AAA

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mom is 67 years old and has an aneurysm in her aorta in her stomach. We went in over a month ago to the hospital as she was scheduled to have surgery but then they discovered her kidneys are in bad shape so now they said surgery is too risky. I need help finding the right answer for what we should do next. We do not want to leave it and wait for it to rupture. Please help what are we to do next?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Talk to a vascular surgeon about the possibility of stenting - they essentially insert a metal tube into the damaged section of the aorta to reinforce it. It is done by inserting the collapsed stent into an artery in the groin, then threading it up the artery, and into the aorta where the stent is expanded. No surgery required. I'm not a doctor and don't know when stenting is applicable, but a vascular surgeon should be able to help inform you.

• Posted

Hi Karina, for last 4 Yrs I too have had an Aneurysm on my descending aorta, Plus, to complicate matters it is dissected from the descending through the abdominal down to the iliac artery in the leg. The condition is complicated and challenging for both medical teams and the patient treatment will be different one to anther... Personally, I have not had surgery for either, yet both are life threatening.  This can be normal, Depending on size and position and treated with drugs to try and manage or reduce it through controlling your BP.. as in my case and many I know off if surgery is too complex or risk verses result to alternative actions which are getting better and better... So don't panic, You are not alone, We call our self Warriors and belong to a rare group who live with the condition, some, for many, many years without surgery. Happy to help as I know how good it is to know of others in the same boat... plus learn options directly from experienced suffers... Hugs to you both Information makes the difference.

• Posted

Karina,

Contact Arie Blitz, MD, MBA if you can through Twitter, the man gives speeches on AAA and has many contacts to get the right answers. 

Best,

-Rg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.