AAA and TKD?

Posted , 3 users are following.

It's been quite some time since I last posted on this forum. To those that don't know me, I'm 49 and was diagnosed with an ascending aortic aneurysm of 4.4cm. With luck, it's been at bay for the last 4 years since first diagnosed and I'm doing my best to keep it that way by quitting smoking cigars (used to smoke 1 a month), stopped heavy weightlifting (former competitive bodybuilder/powerlifter) and losing weight (currently on Nutrisystem, lost 30 lbs since mid-November).

To speed up my weight loss, I am looking to get back into TaeKwonDo. My cardiologist advised me to avoid heavy lifting or moving heavy objects, which I have for over a year now. Smoking cigars stopped a year ago, I asked him about lifting very light weight and doing high reps, he was concerned about over-exertion and straining during the last few reps. While I am taking his advise and precautions very seriously, I can't help but wonder if he is being over-cautious.

I'm not sure how I feel about returning to TaeKwonDo. I have been involved for several years during my teens and twenties, so I am fully aware it's a lot of cardio, which is what I am looking for. There are push ups and sit ups, which may be a little strenuous at times. What I need to avoid is getting kicked hard in the chest area while sparring, which I can easily advise my instructors and students I am training with ahead of time.

The goal is to keep my blood pressure down. Thankfully I have always had excellent blood pressure. I highly doubt the added high cardio will do any damage, but am I wrong here? Thoughts please?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When I see AAA I have to read the post to determine if it is an Ascending aortic aneurysm ( the second most common aortic aneurysm) or an abdominal aortic aneurysm.  
  • Posted

Eric, this is probably something you should really discuss with your doctor.  I think I would be a little nervous about the strenuous nature of TaeKwonDo along with the fear of getting kicked in the chest.  I know, as with exercise, we often plan to be aware of what we are doing but can end up doing more than we planned or should be doing.  My advice - check with your dr.
  • Posted

I don't think strenuous aerobic or anaerobic exercise is a very good idea. I had a previously undetected 5.3cm aneurysm of the upper thoracic aorta. It was detected when it dissected and i had emergency surgery.

You risk aortic dissection and even rupture if you don't follow your doctor's advice. If your aneurysm dissects you could die (john ritter, alan thicke).

My mom had an aneurysm in the same place as mine and when she was trying to decide if she wanted to have surgery for it her doctor told her if she did nothing that someday she would have the worst chest pain of her life (when her aneurysm eventually ruptured) and she'd be dead before she hit the floor.

A friend of mine also has an aneurysm in the same place as mine and received the same advice you did and the same advice I did: don't strain, don't lift heavy weights, no running up the stairs (for me, no running at all), no straining on the toilet, etc.

Your cardiologist isn't being overly cautious considering that your life is as stake.

Find other exercise that is not so strenuous so you will live long and prosper.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.