AAA vs stressful job - what to do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I was diagnosed with an ascending aortic aneurysm 4 years ago, with the grace of God it has remained at 4.4cm. I visit my cardiologist every 3 months religiously, and next month is my EKG/ultrasound/CT scan and stress test follow up after a year of going to him.

I work as an IT site manager for one of the largest hospitals on Long Island, NY. Basically, I manage a team of 15 desktop techs, with my team lead and I making sure tickets are assigned, getting looked at, updated and closed in a timely manner. We also deal daily with escalations and adhoc requests, projects, meetings, walkthroughs, as well as addressing requests from site IT leadership (5 members including the CCIO), as well as our leadership/senior management. I've been doing this for 10 years, it has honestly gotten played out, and addressing everyone's concerns and managing my team on a daily basis has worn me out. I need a change desperately. The position pays very well, however I'm believing more and more with all the stress, daily escalations, late nights etc it's not worth it. I want my life back, thank God I have been able to watch my children grow up but I feel like I don't spend as much with them as I'd like or with my wife. 

My wife feels this is affecting me in many ways that she is concerned with: ice-pick headaches, blurred vision (when I don't get enough sleep), crankiness, sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed but I keep moving past it. I'm worrying if this is affecting my AAA in any way. My BP has always been excellent, however I'm worried this is or will eventually effect me detrimentally.

I'm considering stepping down from this position due to concerns for my health. It's not a cop-out, I have to look out for my health and the well being of my family, even if it means taking a downgraded position and lower salary. I know it means I won't get promoted again in this company, which I feel I can take it and leave it and find something else somewhere else. The dynamics will never change: lack of sufficient staffing, over demanding clients and ridiculous expectations from leadership. 

So question is: does anyone know for certain if work stress (not physical for what I do, it's mental/psychological) can or will affect my AAA? I would hate for something bad to happen to me, the company sends me flowers and moves on like most companies do, then my family suffers. I'm considering stepping down sooner than later.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No one knows much for certain but what I can tell is you really don't like this job and should change. If you don't from your own volition something will happen to make you. It's how it works. Your head says its a good job your body heart and soul is not agreeing. Listen to your body trust it. Before it makes you.

• Posted

Great point, xtine. I’ve been fighting to stay motivated, however as I mentioned the entire dynamics will not change and I am lying to myself hoping something will. I’m only harming myself, my managers have their perception and the demand continually increases with barely any changes to the staffing model. I will take my health over this and let someone younger and fresher step in at this point, I have to stop lying to myself. Taking a pay cut and lower status and improving my overall health is way more important than letting ego/pride get in the way. As I mentioned, I’m getting worried this is somehow affecting my AAA, if not now then at some point. 
  • Posted

Go see them today Eric. Tell them you have been advised...
    • Posted

Thank you xtine, going to do just that. 
  • Posted

Eric, I totally agree. Your health is too important to jeopardize over a job that is no longer fulfilling for you. The stress of your position will catch up with you at some point. Best of luck to you and please keep us updated.
    • Posted

Carol I wholeheartedly agree with you. This is just not worth it anymore. The salary does not justify any jeapordies to my health and how it will ultimately  affect my family.  In the end, when you pull away all the politics and the smoke clears, it’s really just a job. I prefer to take a hit, have a reduced salary or get let go, get plenty of rest, reenergize and free myself of all the anxiety and stress, and start fresh. Summer off, cut fat off my expenditures and get plenty of pool and beach time with my family smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.