Ab excercises with DD

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have always done ab excercises as part of my workout routine. I had my first flair and diagnosis 10.03.17. I am finally feeling back to normal. I am wondering if it is safe to resume the ab excercises, has anyone gone through this? I am afraid to explore it through trial and error and cause myself another episode, sure don't want to go through that again!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have a diverticulitis flare in May it started with a niggling pain that went on for months my gp initially thought it was a bulled muscle as I also do sit ups at the gym, the pain became unbearable and then the other symptoms started high temp feeling generally feeling very ill. A colonoscopy showed diverticulitis. I have now started back to the gym and use the sit up machine but not as many reps with the intention of building up slowly. I do still get pain and don't go when im in pain but mostly im fine, one of the trainers did say it was fine to use the machine but take things easy as it helps your stomach muscles and doesn't touch the colon itself.  That is just my experience but learn to read your own body if it hurts don't do it trial and error.

• Posted

Thanks for the helpful advice. I don't want to abandon my crunches but I sure don't want to cause a flare. Glad to know that the colon won't be affected by using the stomach muscles.

• Posted

Check with your gp before you exercise your stomach just to see if it is ok the above is just my experience. Im 67 and live in the UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.