Abcess drainage

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. I had a trip to A&E after a couple of weeks of horrendous pain in the bottom and fevers. 1 MRI later showed I had a 15x6x6cm abcess in my pelvis pushing against my prostate. I had a drain put in 5 days later after being on a cocktail of IV antibiotics. I had a drain put in on the 12th of July. I saw my surgical team and they said about having contrast done to see if the abcess is collapsed. How do they do it? Does it hurt? I had drain under local and sedation and that hurt enough. Been in 8 days and only drained about 110-110ml. Also, is it normal to have air pockets in the tube? Thanks for the replies in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I can only tell you about the contrast. No it doesn't hurt at all, they put a very thin needle into your arm which is called a cannula it doesn't hurt and they inject dye into you from a pump into that. 

Good luck and dont worry

• Posted

Hi, thanks. Cannula I can deal with. Was worried it'd be direct into it. One less thing to worry about. Thanks very much smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.