Abcess under impacted wisdom tooth

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Have got myself into a panic after reading information about abscess's! I started to feel some discomfort last week (on weds 2nd) and I have an impacted wisdom tooth and have had infections before so thought nothing of it, then it got a lot worse and my face began to swell so I rang my dentist and he posted me some antibiotics (as I don't live near my dentist anymore but can't get registered anywhere else!), the antibiotics didn't help and the pain got worse, felt horrendous, I just thought it was the infection but last night, in the middle of the night I heard a noise and then tasted nasty stuff so guessed something had burst - really scared that I have left it too late now and will end up with bone infection or the brain thing! Am I just panicking, can someone else say what happened to them, I ahve a dentist appointment booked for tomorrow morning, but quite scared now!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It is rare for them to spread to the brain :D Hopefully youll get the tooth (and possibly the one next to it) out tomorrow smile
  • Posted

Thank you for getting back to me, think he may only have enough time to xray it tomorrow and will have to make a further appointment for removal - bit concerned about that as its impacted and read a lot of horror stories about that! Hope to not have too many teeth removed as only 24!

Any ideas how long it takes to return to normal after extraction?

• Posted

Yeah wait and see what the xray shows up, the dentist will be able to see the state of the infection, youll probably be given more antibiotics, if its seriously impacting the second molar then its going to atleast need root canal work to save it :? Its going to be incredibly painful immediately afterwards but by the next day the pain should be alot better, itll take months for the gum to heal over the gap / s smile
  • Posted

Cheers, think after the amount of pain that I do want the wisdom tooth removed but not looking forward to that - its partially impacted on the lower jaw. Spoek to my dentist and he said that they do wisdom teeth extractions regularly, he's fairly old so fingers crossed had plenty of experience - they don't agree with general anaesthetic tho - think they do sedation and local anaesthetic - had my top right wisdom tooth removed and although it wasn't pleasant it wasn't as horrific as I remember but I know lower teeth are more complicated! Doesn't help that I am petrified of the dentist!

What are other people's thought on general aneasthetic vs local + sedation?

• Posted

They might need to do a little digging about but if the dentist reckons youll only need a local they must be basing it on experience smile Sedation aswell, Ive never had any it might be cool smile Youre definately have to tell us what goes on there :D
  • Posted

Hi there

Sorry we have frightened you with our last postings! The fact that your abcess has burst is a good thing - keep swilling your mouth out with warm salty water. When it comes to having the impacted tooth removed providing you are given adequate local anasthesia, you shouldn't actually feel any pain - the tugging sensation is a bit unpleasant but hopefully will not go on for too long. It sounds as if your dentist feels , having looked at your xrays, quite happy to undertake the extraction - he would have referred you to a dental hospital if he had been unsure. Over the years, I have had loads of unpleasant dental procedures, including an impacted wisdom tooth removal - it does take time to heal and will be very sore at times. Your dentist may recommend Corsodyl gel. or Genigel, both of which can be bought over the counter - I found them very soothing post surgery - particularly Genigel. You could also ask your dentist for some form of oral sedation - valium is usually used, but you must have someone to drive you or accompany you home if you do. Good luck tomorrow, and do let us know how you get on!

Katie

Katie

• Posted

Hey, went to the dentist this morning, was an emergency appointment so was only the usual 15minutes slot, he had a look at could see I've had an infection but couldn't see where the abscess was so have been given some more antibiotics and then had to book in for the tooth to be extracted! Nearest date I could get was Feb 28th! So a while still, going under local anaesthetic and IV sedation - fingers crossed my infection dies down and goes away until then! Going to be a complete state before hand, feel ill just talking about it now!

Kate when you say unpleasant experiences does that mean they just weren't very nice or did things go wrong? He seems t think it will be ok as the top of the tooth is out of the gum its just that half of it is hidden under where my jaw joins if that makes sense. How long did your procedure take?

• Posted

getting closer, valentines day now! Not the best valentines present ever but hey ho!hehe!
  • Posted

The antibiotics will have to work otherwise youre going to be banging your head off the walls :lol: :cry: Look on the bright side its only a baby tooth compared to fully grown, depending on how the roots are doing it might come out really easily smile
  • Posted

Hi

Don't worry! It sounds as if your dentist is doing exactly the right thing. He needs the whole area to be infection free before the extraction, hence the further antibiotics, and the fact that part of the tooth is actually above the gum line is a good sign and should make the whole procedure easier. Also, as he is offering iv sedation, go for it. As long as you have someone to see you home afterwards. With IV sedation, you will probably not be aware of very much going on at all - just feel very calm and relaxed.

Re. \"my unpleasant experiences\" no, nothing went wrong - it's just that over the years I have had various dental surgery (implants etc) - and none of them are particularly pleasurable - but never as bad as I expected them to be - and I'm sure yours will be the same. Dentists are carrying out extractions of impacted wisdom teeth \"in the chair\" on a regular basis these days, and for them it is a very routine procedure. From what I remember the whole thing was over in half an hour and that included waiting for the injections to numb the area. I had a couple of stitches, but certainly didn't feel anything and they just fell out when the area had healed. Yes, the area was very sore for a while afterwards, but after all the pain you have been through it will be absolutely nothing and you will just be relieved it's out. You will find that you will keep poking your tongue in the socket for a while, but this will eventually close up completely. Try not to worry, you will be fine. Best of luck!

Katie

• Posted

Thank you very much guys. feeling a bit calmer about the whole thing now, especially since I know I will get sedation - never had it before so it sounds interesting - I've sorted out someone to go with me and send the rest of the day with me. Think you are right though Kate, will be a relief to have it taken out and hopefully no more infections! Will no doubt be in touch again nearer the time with loads more questions!hehe!
  • Posted

[quote:56d20ae849=\"katie.k.\"]Hi there

Sorry we have frightened you with our last postings! The fact that your abcess has burst is a good thing - keep swilling your mouth out with warm salty water. When it comes to having the impacted tooth removed providing you are given adequate local anasthesia, you shouldn't actually feel any pain - the tugging sensation is a bit unpleasant but hopefully will not go on for too long. It sounds as if your dentist feels , having looked at your xrays, quite happy to undertake the extraction - he would have referred you to a dental hospital if he had been unsure. Over the years, I have had loads of unpleasant dental procedures, including an impacted wisdom tooth removal - it does take time to heal and will be very sore at times. Your dentist may recommend Corsodyl gel. or Genigel, both of which can be bought over the counter - I found them very soothing post surgery - particularly Genigel. You could also ask your dentist for some form of oral sedation - valium is usually used, but you must have someone to drive you or accompany you home if you do. Good luck tomorrow, and do let us know how you get on!

Katie

Katie[/quote:56d20ae849][code:1:56d20ae849][/code:1:56d20ae849]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.