Abcess which won't clear up

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone need a bit of advice please.

I have HS stage 2 and I have a very nasty one on my stomach  which has been there for around 3 weeks.  As they sometimes go down on their own and as I don't like taking ab's until I have no choice started taking them around 5 days ago.  

It has gone  to around a quarter of what is was but is still somewhat infected and it won't seem to clear up any more than this.   When I have finished the course in 2 days I think it will suddenly explode again,  as there is still impacked pus in it.

What do I do please?    I am trying to keep it sterile with a plaster.   Should I carry on taking the ab's for longer?  Or do you think it is worthwhile seeing a doctor? 

Many thanks.   x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Go have a dermatologist or Surgeon remove the cystic material from the wound so it can heal. Hope it's better soon!
    • Posted

Thank you crystal but they won't touch it while it is still infected.  That is for the future if it keeps flaring up.  I need to know what to do right this moment please.  x

• Posted

Hummm...that's strange. My dermatologist always cut mine while they were inflamed. I've had dozens cut and scraped out. It relieves the pain, pressure and gets rid of the cystic material and inflammation.

Maybe your doctor will give you a steroid shot in that area since they won't cut it? I had a steroid cream that helped to speed up the healing process. Maybe that would boost your antibiotics to get rid of the infection?

• Posted

Thanks crystal.   Will finish the course and if it doesn't go will go to the drs.   I use dalacin cream but I don't think it is a steroid and it is not helping much with this one. 

I didn't know about steroid creams or shots so many thanks for that info.

I must admit I am disappointed in the response to my post with only you answering crystal.  I often try and help others but it seems I can't get it when I ask.  I am glad you did reply otherwise I would have have none at all.  Thank you very much.  x

• Posted

I often force the remaining puss out by pressing a very hot flannel to the area. I would try that and then in the next two days see your doctor about the infection. Keeping the plaster over it is a good idea, but you should change it a couple of times a day if you can, and remove it to shower. Don't use any soaps or shower gels on the area of course. 

Hope it resolves!!

• Posted

Thank you Daisy.  I have never heard of that before but will try it and see if it works.   I have stopped the ab's now as have completed the course and if it continues to be a problem will go back to the doctors.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.