Abdomen constant twitching, stabbing pains and nausea

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've have has some odd symptoms for the past 2 months and hoping someone may have some advice or an idea as to what the cause is. 

I started experiencing stabbing pains in random areas around my bladder area about 2 months ago, over the course of a week, the stabbing pains have moved up from my bladder to belly button area and then to the left hand side to my kidney area (although the pain wasn't a stabbing around the kidney area, more of a weird sensation, but would be more of a sharp pain if I breathed in deeply). Over the course of 2 months now, the bladder area pain has largely disappeared, including the stabbing pains, but have been replaced with random twitching and spasms around my lower abdomen (mainly around the belly button area) and more of an constant aching pain. The twitches and spasms are actually clearly visible and look similar to when you see a baby moving in a pregnant woman!? Note that I am a male, so kind of not possible :-) The kidney pain still randomly occurs usually at the same time as the abdomen twitching but not always. Over the past week the stomach pain has got worse and now I feel sick most days. I've got an ultrasound next week on my kidney and bladder as originally the symptoms seem to be related to a bout of prostatitis I had just before all the symptoms started, but now I'm starting to think its unrelated and I need my intestine investigated. Bowel movements are all normal. I know the default doctors response will be IBS, but I've had that in the past, and this is nothing like that. Any help appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Regarding my initial post, Forgot to add, the twitching feeling I experience, has an odd sensation, similar to weightlessness/fluttery feeling you get when on a swing or fairground ride. Really unsettling.
  • Posted

If you have had IBS in the past, you could be having a flare up.  IBS symptoms can change over time.  It is also possible you are having subtle bowel habit changes and not realising it.  I have had twitching in my stomach but it is not noticeable. I have IBS.  Initially, I thought my symptoms were a kidney/bladder infection but I tested negative for that.  Come and go pain and constant aching pain are common IBS symptoms.  I have had this.  If your ultrasound and any other tests you have are negative, IBS is the diagnosis.
    • Posted

Hi. Thanks for the response. I hope it is ibs rather than something more serious. What frustrates me though is that ibs can't be proven by any scan or test. Seems doctors always default to this without offering any more in-depth assessment. And what is greatly underestimated is the amount of worry the patient is left with thinking that it might be something more serious - cancer for example. I'm not one to jump on to this diagnosis instantly by any means, but what a patient wants and what I want is confirmation of the actual illness by some test, something visual, and therefore not something else. As I've got older I've come to realise there is a lot of conditions that can't be explained, or are put down to a syndrome of some sort which does worry me - and then probably leads to stress related IBS! Anyhow, I'll see how the ultrasound goes next week. Thanks again.

• Posted

Functional disorders like IBS never show up on tests so they have to make a diagnosis of exclusion.  If tests for other conditions are negative, them that proves there is nothing seriously wrong.  Unfortunately, this is the only way of confirming IBS.  With me, although IBS was mentioned as a possibility twice, I had a long and terrifying batch of in depth examinations before I got a definitive, firm diagnosis of IBS.  I went seven times to different doctors who couldn't help and on my eighth attempt. I saw a doctor who understood and recognised my symptoms. I felt instantly that he knew what he was talking about and was not fobbing me off so I didn't need to question my diagnosis.

Hopefully, you will get answers too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.