Abdomen issues, sternum and right rib ache

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,  I am a 38 female and have been having abdomen issues.  End of 2016 I had really sharp pains radiate across my lower abdomen (felt like bladder) which caused me to retch and lasted for 20-30 mins.  The severity would calm down but I would still have the same dull soreness for most of the day.  After this episode I would then suffer with upper abdomen pain that made the end of a breath out painful under my ribs.  The pain could be said that of indigestion that I could feel into my back.  I was given an ultra sound but it came back clear (Jan 2017).  This time round, after the sharp lower abdomen attack, I have been very uncomfortable behind my sternum and to the right side of my ribs.  I have had a sharp pain, in the night, above my naval into my back and occasional aches around my middle abdomen.  I am now more concerned with the constant ache in my upper abdomen. I am feeling tired most of the time and sometimes nauseous and not always able to finish a meal.  I am being tested for inflammatory issues such as Chrons and been given ibs tablets.  I tried omeprazole but not a lot happened.  I am wondering if a second opinion would be helpful as I am worried about my gallbladder as the symptoms point more to this than Chrons or ibs.  Thank you kindly

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Topcat, these symptoms are inconclusive for gallbladder issues. They may well be gallbladder related, but could be many other things. An ultrasound often doesn't pick up small we stones or what is commonly referred to as biliary sludge, so that's inconclusive. Also you may not have stones, but your gallbladder may not be functioning as it should. You would need a HIDA scan to determine this.

I had pain centrally and to rh side and rh shoulder blade, so was higher in my body than what you're describing. I also had an uncomfortable feeling of fullness as if I'd eaten a huge meal even when I hadn't. These attacks could last three or four days. I would feel shivery and generally very unwell. Leading up to this, I was very tired, suffered night sweats and had no appetite. Other symptoms include nausea, sickness and diarrhoea with stomach cramps especially after eating. Often stools appear yellow and fatty. Pale chalky stools and dark coloured urine are indicators of jaundice, which is often a complication of gallstones, along with yellow skin and whites of eyes and general itching.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I am uncomfortable and have a slight achy pain within 30 mins of eating.  I am half way though my tea now and want to give up.  I had a muffin this afternoon and not long after I felt uncomfortable again.  My stomach area, near my sternum, feels slightly different today like a lump maybe.  It reminds me of when I was pregnant and felt the feet or arms (no I am not pregnant LOL).  I have spoken with a friend who has chrons and she had issues with her bowl movements etc.  I do not have this, my bowls do not seem to be a bother.  My achy pains are now up under my sternum and tender around my naval area.  Feels quite uncomfortable breathing at some points.  I am just not convinced this could be IBS.  Still taking Buscapam tablets.

• Posted

If your symptoms are gallbladder related, eating a low fat diet should reduce some of the symptoms. Avoid foods high in fat, spicy foods, baked goods and alcohol for a while to see if there's any improvement. Eat wholemeal bread, eggs (if you can tolerate them), lean meat, fish, vegetables, salad, fruit, baked or mashed potatoes (no butter), plain boiled brown rice, 0% fat yogurts, reduced fat cheese (if you can tolerate) etc . Don't eat large meals, but spread food out over the day. Don't eat a lot of fat in one go ( I can eat 1 poached egg, but not two). Don't fry food in the conventional way- use an oil spray, grill and roast meat on a rack so the meat is not sitting in fat.  If you make these changes and your symptoms are gallbladder related, you should see an improvement. Low fat diet won't make the symptoms disappear completely: if it is gallbladder related you will most likely need surgery.

• Posted

Just a few thoughts, you can look them up online to see if any of them fit your symptoms or even ask your doctor, it is possible to have more than one issue, Appendicitis can cause pain in belly button area,esp. on R side also bloating & gas...Umbilical Hernia can have pain in that area too, Ovarian Cysts, Endometriosis and a few other female issues, can cause lower belly pain and bloating, feeling of fullness..the upper belly pain and shoulder pain can be a type of ulcer, gallbladder issue(doesnt always show on ultrasound, it cant hurt to get a second opinion...if you look up some of these symptoms, diseases& disorders, remember that pain can radiate from one area to another...dont let them tell you its all in your head...Best Wishes, I wish I could be of more help & I dont want to scare you, but you need answers so you can get proper treatment and move on w/your life💙💚💛💜💟Feel better soon!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.