Abdominal aortic aneurysm

Posted , 3 users are following.

My AAA is currently 4.5 and monitored quarterly so I may need surgery sooner or later. But I also have Atrial Fibrillation and am concerned this may be a stumbling block for surgery? Anyone know? I take warfarin for the AF which is also monitored regularly.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There is a danger that you can Google for on Warfarin and NOAC's with patients like us with aortic aneurysms. This applies more to us who are over 75.

My AAA is 3.9 and monitored annualy and I also have AF with a pacemaker and will be having an AV node ablation next month.

• Posted

Hello Stillucan. Sometimes things don't go to plan, as you surmise. I have been monitored for 18 years and reached the elective "window" for EVAR (5.5cm) some three and a half years ago. On that first occasion occasion I was too ill for the operation; over a year later I was ok'ed and in theatre when the Surgeon informed me that he thought my LVEF (!0%) was too low for the survival odds to be in my favour. Now, I still get monitored (last size was 6.2cm) as you are not allowed to drive beyond 6.5cm. My only realistic hope is the chance of an emergency repair on rupture, unless my LVEF increases, which seems unlikely.
  • Posted

Hello

I'm bar far the most knowledgable person in regards to this issue, all I can report on is my own experience.  I have AF ( am 48 and was operated on in 2010), my aneurysm was in my aortic root, I was measured as 8.8cm dilated, my valve had stopped working completely and I had severe aortic regurgitation (heart bleeding back in on itself).  I was operated on wihtin five days of them spotting this.  My AF was not even mentioned as a stumbling block in regards to surgery.

All I can say is all went well, I have a mechanical valve now and they replaced my aortic root.  My recovery and standard of life has been really good since, I still have 2 murmurs apparently but I manage my own INR and test myself at home. 

I hope your AAA remains the same and fingers crossed you won't need surgery however, best wishes for whenever that time may be.  I wish you a successful op and speedy recovery (as I was lucky enough to have) if you do end up needing one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.