Posted , 5 users are following.
my 76 year old dad has an abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. It is 6.7cm. We only found after the results came up at the end of October 2016. He has had lots of issues since his heart attack in 2009. triple heart bypass, stroke 2 months later, defribillator,
In the last two weeks he has just completed tests to see if he can have the endo vascular op but now today they say he is too weak for the op. He couldn't do the lung function, His AAA is so big that they would have to lose a kidney because when they tie the stent up it would stop the blood going to the kidney. It's that big.
His other kidney is the stronger one but he had a DMSA and that told the docs that the kidneys are not strong enough too. so basically because of of heart problems, stroke, weak kidneys and lungs they have said it's very touch and go.
He has 40% chance of survival if he has the op but then from the 60% chnace that he makes it there's a 95% chance of further extremely serious issues, kidney dialysys, risk f impending heart attack, stroke. to be frank they're more or less saying he won't survive the operation and even if he miraculously does he will have a lifetime of pain from other things. kidney diaysis 3-4 hours every 4 days. one visit like running a marathon
Not having the operation means that it will probably eventually rupture and if it does 8/10 sufferers don't make it. In my dad's case probaly 95% certain death. if he miraculously makes it to the operating table they woul do the same procedure above but this time an open surgery. but chances are he wont make that!
We are so very saddened its come to this . such a hard decision to make. go with the op tomorrow and may not see him again and even if we do it's likley he'll die from this or something else OR leave it as is adn wait for him to die. Like a ticking time bomb inside. It is 6.7cm already. There's nothing to bring it down. we just wait. today, tomorrow , 3months or 6 months. so so sadd!!!
1 like, 6 replies