Abdominal discomfort and rib pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

A week ago I helped paint with my uncle which involved a LOT of bending. The next day I woke up with a sore to the touch spot on my rib on the left side, lowest rib. 

I've been constipated until the last couple of days. And now things seem to be going just fine. However.  I still have a tender to the touch rib with discomfort underneath the rib when I lie on my stomach.  I got adjusted at the chiropractor yesterday and it seemed to make this pain worse. It's like a dull ache and burn and sometimes stabbing.   I've had nausea on and off.  And I've been getting lower abdominal pain as well that feels like a cramp.  I've found tender spots on my ribs on both sides but the left is worse than the right.  Also, at times my whole stomach has a burning sensation as well. This is all driving me nuts! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

ok trying drinking cranberry juice for the burning and for the spots on your ribs put some salvon cream on them and see if that will help and for the cramping drink peppermint flavor tea or fenmel tea and i hope that you will help for you 
  • Posted

You may have bruised your rib which can take time to heal.  Chiropractors often make things worse and can cause the area they treat to develop a burning pain.  I got this with a back adjustment from a chiropractor along with a host of other problems.  Rib injuries are best left to heal on their own.  You may also have pulled abdominal muscles too.
    • Posted

Would a bruised rib cause gastrointestinal issues though?  I feel better when I don't eat. But still have the tender to the touch rib... also. When at the chiropractor while laying on my stomach it was very painful in that spot almost like it was poking something? 

• Posted

Do you get the pain after eating? Has your constipation come back?  There may be two things going on.  Either your pulled stomach muscles and bruised ribs from the strenuous exercise you were doing or you may have gastritis which can cause abdominal pain, rib pain and nausea. The two incidents may not be connected.

Is the the burning, heartburn or a nerve sensation?  If it is an acidic burning, try milk rather than cranberry juice because it can be sharp and acidic. If it is heartburn, that sounds more like gastritis.

If the burning feels like someone has stabbed you with a hot poker and you felt it in the area you had adjusted, several hours after treatment,  then this sounds like a chiropractic side effect. In that case, you should not have any further treatments because you could be doing yourself further damage.

I ended up with severe pain and exhaustion for nine months after chiropractic treatment followed by costochondritis and IBS.

Since you have had the pain for a week, see your doctor.

• Posted

Unfortunately I'm leaning towards the doctor anyway. I'm thinking I pry did pull a muscle. And either have gastritis or diverticulitis. I've also had chostochondritis before and do believe I have a little bit of a flare of that going on as well.  I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia so it's always a little harder for me to break down and go to the doctor when I'm not sure if it's a fibro pain or something different.  I'll probably see my GP tomorrow. 

Thanks for your help! 

• Posted

A lot of these conditions hit off against each other.  Costochondritis is common with fibromyalgia too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.