Abdominal distention, pain in lower left side, blood/oil in excrement

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, after extensively researching and scheduling an appointment with a FEMALE gastroenterologist to deal with the above problems, I find out they "forgot" to type in the doctor I asked for and I ended up with a young male. Predictably, he listens to my symptoms with slight condescension and then tells me I need to "stop Googling so much," pokes my stomach for a bit and when I ask if he can feel anything abnormal he says "I've been doing this for a long time, and if it was something malignant I think I would feel it" and that "just looking at you, it's nothing to worry about." Um, dude looks like he is not a day over 32 and what do you mean nothing to worry about?? People die all over the world bc doctors tell them their major problems are 'nothing to worry about.' Maybe mine aren't major but I at least want tests to check it out. Final note to cocky d-bag doctors everywhere: Screw you and your enormous high horse. THIS IS WHY I WANTED A WOMAN. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How the hell does he know it's nothing to worry about?!?!? Does he have x ray/ mri vision? Did he run any tests? Change doctors. NOW. Find someone who will listen, man or woman. You have to be your own advocate. It's your life. I'm sorry you got dismissed like this. He's in the wrong profession.

• Posted

Thank you! I forced him to schedule an abdominal ultrasound and blood tests after I said I would go to another hospital if I had to. Then I told the front desk about their mistake. When I say I wanted the young female whose bio specifically said she "always advocates for patients and does whatever it takes to discover answers to ailments" then THAT is the person I wanted to see. 

• Posted

I don't know what's the country coming to 2017 and no female doctor's?  My doctor had it right men do it to have a look at women's bits that's all.  You need a second opinion. 

• Posted

Ironically, I had almost the same scenario happen to me when I first went to see GI. Except she was a younger female that must of been riding the same horse your GI rode. She actually started googling symptoms and effects of pancreatitis. She had no clue, waste of my time and money. If you do find a woman sure hope she's better than the one I had, good luck.   

• Posted

Must have been! It's so infuriating. I had an aunt diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer bc she was waved off for years. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.