Abdominal distress

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have experienced excessive bloating on and off for years. In many instances it make me feel very unwell. I take numerous medications for anxiety, depression, Type II diabetes, and SVT. The swelling in my abdomen does not hurt to the touch and usually doesn't produce any pain other than minor gas pains. The gurgling and growling sensations cause me a lot of anxiety and discomfort. I've had upper and lower scans, MRI's, and ultrasounds. All came back negative for abnormalities. I had my 4th colonoscopy approximately 8 months ago. They found 3 precancerous polyps which were removed. It was recommended that I have another a year from that time. The symptoms of my abdominal issues also leaves me with a weird sensation in my esophagus along one side. Sometimes it feels like mild indigestion. Other times it makes me cough lightly. Bowel movements vary. Sometimes loose, sometimes constipation, sometimes like oatmeal. Sometimes variation in color. Never black. Never blood. Ranging between sometimes very light yellow in appearance to brown. Varying shapes and sizes. I've been told for years that I may have IBS but have never definitively been diagnosed with such. The bloating is real. The mussel soreness and body aches are real. Sometimes it seems like I have a very low fever. So, you're wondering what is my question? Can anyone else relate to this? If so what was your diagnosis. It's been a lot of years dealing with this to varying degrees. This seems to be the worst time to date. Thank you for your input.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You will need to get a definitive diagnosis from your doctor as to whether you have IBS or not, although your symptoms sound like it. The medications you are taking and the conditions you have may be contributing to your bowel problems. Did the removal of your polyps make your symptoms any better? Ask your doctor if your other conditions could be causing your problem. Your anti depressants can also cause gut distress. What is SVT?

• Posted

SVT is Supra Ventricular Tachycardia. Thanks for your feedback. It is difficult to follow the distraction path because it is such a distraction, however, I do know that it helps while involved, significantly.

• Posted

I have very little abdominal pain. It is more like abdominal discomfort. Bloating which creates pressure in various areas. Of course I also experience the symptoms that I outlined earlier. This captures my focus and the mind takes it from there. I have been told that I have a hyper awareness of things going on in my body. In some cases things that are quite normal. They do become distorted however. I also find that when I am engaged in activity and am distracted, I feel fine generally. Even now though, my mind tells me that the distraction is a masking more than it is a reality of there really being nothing wrong. Believe it or not I do see mental health professionals on a regular basis. It does help some. It's been 42 years dealing with this on and off. I am still here though, despite my mind. That said, this should stand as a testament to others experiencing similar situations. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

• Posted

Anxiety can upset the gut and so can diet. MAybe try a food diary too to see if any foods are causing bloating.

• Posted

Have you done endoscopy? Judging from your description you are surely suffering from stress and anxiety. Maybe you should consult a hypnotherapist.

• Posted

I have had an endoscopy. It was clear as were the colonoscopies. I am diagnosed with Severe Anxiety Disorder and depression. It is hard to say if the abdominal issues are caused by the anxiety or the anxiety is caused by the abdominal issues. Whichever, it is extremely frustrating and it has been going on, off and on, for years. It is always an issue of "you never know."

• Posted

I would say that both scenarios are likely. Anxiety can cause intestinal upset and intestinal upset can trigger anxiety. My abdominal pain was triggered by anxiety and anxiety made the pain worse. In the end, it doesn't matter which of the two it is because anxiety is anxiety whatever way you look at it. It's better to try not to focus on it too much and to try distraction techniques such as a hobby or light exercise to take your mind off your symptoms. This strategy can help to ease anxiety and abdominal problems.

• Posted

I do understand your frustration.. I have been going through this for more than 20 years and the last 5 years has been more intense. You need to calm your mind. Try not think overly of your situation or condition. Do not analyze or compare yourself with others who are seemingly much healthier. All this will only worsened your condition.

• Posted

The mind definitely seems to have a mind of it's own. When I feel I do think and expect the worst. I know that crazy. Especially after so many years and nothing drastic has developed. I do agree that distractions are a good tool. The challenge is getting away from the mind and into the distraction. Thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your thoughts.

• Posted

Why don't you try Nuvapine supplement, i think this will help you to with heartburn and bloating. Magnesium is also good for digestion and to relax your intestinal wall and can fight depression as well. Get advice from your doctor before taking them.

• Posted

Have you ever had a CT scan?

• Posted

I have. The only thing that came out of that was that I have a fatty liver. I'll be seeing my GP in a couple weeks. We'll see what happens with that meeting. It's been a long road.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.