Abdominal Distress, bloating etc.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Maybe someone has a clue. I have experience bloating on and off for many years. In 1996 I was told I more than likely had IBS. The doctor put me on Xanax because he said it would help with the colon spasms. I went to the bathroom 18 times that day. I have had severe anxiety issues on and off since 1987. I've had numerous colonoscopies, one just recently. This one even included the small intestine. I've had a recent endoscopy including the stomach. I've also had the breath test. All tests were negative. I've also had MRI, and ultra sounds. Now my doctor is telling me that it may be bacteria related. He wants to put me on some sort of antibiotic regimen. I've tried that once already. With this new bout I have an additional symptom. I feel pressure against my esophagus and a slight irritation that comes and goes. This causes a minor cough which is by no means constant. Nothing comes up in my throat as you might see in heart burn or indigestion. I seem to go back and forth with either bouts of diarrhea or constipation. Sometimes it feels like there is an inner tube just below my rib cage. At other times it feels like it is around my chest region. Other times neither. There is also serious bouts with gas. I also experience wandering pain around my abdominal area. It never stays in one place and it is never constant. During the worst of times I experience cold like symptoms. Joint pain, mussel ache and so on. Tiredness too. I do not get headaches and I never get nauseous. All this plays with my anxiety big time. I never know if the issue is anxiety or if the anxiety is caused by the abdominal distress. Is this type of thing familiar to anyone out there. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You are describing IBS perfectly. With, IBS, all your tests will show nothing. Try an antispasmodic or painkillers, eat lots of fruit or try a laxative for constipation and Imodium for diarrhoea. Try a food diary to see if food is triggering your IBS. Try to stay as calm as possible because worrying will make your IBS worse Have you had any recent stress?The discomfort of IBS can lead to anxiety and cause you to think you have something else. Anxiety and stress can trigger IBS; it did with me. Believe in your doctor's original diagnosis of IBS.

• Posted

You are describing IBS perfectly. With, IBS, all your tests will show nothing. Try an antispasmodic or painkillers, eat lots of fruit or try a laxative for constipation and Imodium for diarrhoea. Try a food diary to see if food is triggering your IBS. Try to stay as calm as possible because worrying will make your IBS worse Have you had any recent stress?The discomfort of IBS can lead to anxiety and cause you to think you have something else. Anxiety and stress can trigger IBS; it did with me. Believe in your doctor's original diagnosis of IBS.

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I always have stress. The worst of my stress is brought about by the associated symptoms. Logically, I have all the tests which should bring me relief on the stress side. I'm in a constant cycle of are the abdominal symptoms anxiety related or is the anxiety a product of the abdominal symptoms. I failed to mention in my previous discussion that I do see a psychologist regularly and I also have a psychiatrist NP who tends to the anxiety medication. All that helped with the the anxiety by product of depression, but the anxiety lingers. Thank you again for your feedback. It does help.

• Posted

I too have stomach issues and extreme anxiety . And I don't know which one triggers the other . I am always scared I m gonna have cancer and when my tummy starts to act up my mind tells me maybe this is the beginning of the end. it ruins my life! My doctor put me on lyrica for 2 weeks to settle my anxiety. I hope it works.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I always have stress. The worst of my stress is brought about by the associated symptoms. Logically, I have all the tests which should bring me relief on the stress side. I'm in a constant cycle of are the abdominal symptoms anxiety related or is the anxiety a product of the abdominal symptoms. I failed to mention in my previous discussion that I do see a psychologist regularly and I also have a psychiatrist NP who tends to the anxiety medication. All that helped with the the anxiety by product of depression, but the anxiety lingers. Thank you again for your feedback. It does help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.