Abdominal Hernia open repair pain.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, 

i had had an abdominal open hernia repair carried out on 21.6.17- I was doing ok, until last Sunday when all of a sudden the area where the mesh has been put in gets extremely sore, especially when I walk any distance.  I have been to see my Dr who advised me it's because I'm still healing.  I'm not convinced.  The day before the pain started I did mow my lawns and emptied the grass box... so I'm not sure if I have caused the pain or not.... I really don't know where to go from here.. any advise you can give me would be grateful.  I'm in the uk.  Thanks Sandra 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes Sandra, you are doing too much. Let others do the dirty work around the house for 8 weeks.  Your doc is correct. Just take a load off until the end of the month. Got it????

Now enjoy being waited on and let others do the work. 

• Posted

The temptation is to think ur ok and u probably felt ok but u need at least 3 months after open surgery take care of urself u don't want a recurrent hernia otherwise I don't think u need to worry unless the pain continues once u start to take it easy.

• Posted

Yep. Take it easy. It's tempting to think that you're ok because it doesn't hurt much at the time. I was told to wait about three months. Feet up! 

• Posted

Based on my own experience mesh repairs take a good few months to settle. The surgeons tend to be over-optimistic about them - they are very invasive.
  • Posted

Thanks all, yesterday was a very good day, walked nearly 5 miles and no pain,/soreness, I have been taking it easy around the house.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.