Abdominal hysterectomy

Posted , 11 users are following.

it's been nearly 4 weeks since I had surgery without removing my ovaries. I've been getting pain around my cut like stabbing pain.and I'm still swallon aswell I know your told not to lift or do housework but sometimes it cant be helped and I know I've overdone it at times and been in more pain ..starting to feel depressed being stuck at home feeling lonely not feeling myself at all cry for no reason. ( I cant wait to go back to work) has anyone else had similar symptoms I've not had a checkup with my doc yet.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Kelly, I truly understand your impatience and frustration in not being able to do your normal activities. Believe me, due to my issues of overdoing, you definitely need to closely follow your physician/ surgeon says.

I ran into (2) to (3) weeks more recovery time, as well as bleeding.

Please keep the group abreast of your recovery after you see your doctor.

HUGS

• Posted

Oh Kelly, its still early days with regards to your recovery. I was in the same position last year. My tummy would swell and I would get those stabbing pains if I had overdone it. Your wound may look good but dont underestimate the amount of necessary healing internally. All those layers that have been cut through need time, your insides have undergone a trauma, your organs will resettle and readjust now your womb has gone. Try and use this time to just chill but have a routine with regular meal times, short walks and naps. Go easy on the chores. If a towel drops, just leave it there! This is a temporary state and you need to let your body heal. I was soooo impatient and started seeing a PT at 8wks who was a gynae specilaist and warned me against overdoing it so i just did gentle tasks with her. This hard time will pass and you'll honestly not look back, I'm so happy to be out the other side. Healing was longer than I expected but its a distant memory now. Best of luck!! x

• Posted

I had all the symptoms you have after my hysterectomy.

Try to remember even if it seems common it is major surgery and your body needs time to heal. Even when the outside looks fine the healing inside takes much longer.

• Posted

4 wks is still so so early. it takes about 3 to 6 months for the swelling around tumm9 to go down.

there has been lots if fitting,pulling,and stitching so yiur body will still be swollen.

the scar is healing and as yiu had open surgery it will take longer.

hormines are all over the place and will settle with time hun.

be easy on yourself and know it takes months to heal from this OP inside and out.

keep going yiur doing greatx

• Posted

Hi Kelly and ladies!

I had my total abdominal hysterectomy almost 6 weeks ago and just this week have started feeling the same - belly has swollen more this week and the pain inside is like that I felt t about week 3. I phoned the gynae dept to speak to nurse this morning and yep, I've been overdoing things. I was on my feet and active walking etc very quickly so I think I got a bit cocky and did over an hour weeding the garden on Sunday. Stupid thing to do but now I realise how such a 'small' thing can put me back so severely I'll wind my neck in. Glad I found this forum and can see that other people are going through the same xx

• Posted

it's been documented a lot on here that 6 wks is nothing in recovery time.

yiu are at risk of prolapse if yiu do too much.

why would yiu think it's ok to bend and stretch so easily on is not good for your healing tissues lol.

please rest,your body has hone through trauma. it's too late when you end up back in hospital with a prolapse.

take care and rest🌝

• Posted

I'm 5 weeks and I've been feeling the same thing. I told the doctor about it and he said it was tissue healing

• Posted

its been 1 week for me. same symptoms as you. im 64. had a total abdominal hysterectomy and also the removed a very large cyst behind my uterus but found no cancer. i was so lucky

• Posted

yiur body is telling you to stop.No housework for at least 8 wks.. yku must listen to your consultant.

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

It's been 6 months since my total hysterectomy, due to multiple fibroids, I still have my ovaries. I totally know how you feel I was the same, after a week I started doing cooking and tidying up, my husband is amazing and did everything for me but I just wanted to be up, I was bored laying in bed. I soon regretted it though my incision was so painful I didn't want to take the Codeine they gave me as I was told it makes you constipated and I definitely didn't need that, things in the area were bad enough, I was taking Lactulose to help things. I was taking Paracetamol or Ibuprofen when needed for pain and discomfort. I did some research and saw that many women in America wear surgical belts which I invested in I bought it from Amazon it really helped support my bloated sore belly. I realised I needed to take things slowly and I made the most of my time off work by binge watching Netflix series and movies but I still kept active I did walking /marching on the spot after a month daily, when I could manage it. Tiredness was the main thing and mood swings with me. I returned to work after 3 months. I must say that in my case that the pain both internal and external took about 3 months to stop, and after that to date the incision itches. I also had terrible sciatic spasms going down my right leg from time to time for about 2 months. The positive is that I am pain free now, apart from the itching I have no problems I have no regrets. I wish you well with your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.