Abdominal hysterectomy on April 7th - Need pain relief tips

Posted , 10 users are following.

Worried about how much pain I will be in after the op and for how long.Also worried about things like sitting down and laying down and coping with stairs.How much should I expect to bleed afterwards aswell?

Thanks

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi sweet, I'll be the last to tell you not to worry as this time last week I was a jibbering wreck! I had my TAH on Thursday and have managed the whole of this afternoon on just two paracetamol, it's not pain as such, just discomfort xx
    • Posted

Great to hear from you.Are you still in hospital?I posted a new discussion earlier asking about how to stand,sit,lay down.I would appreciate your comments during your recovery.I think that a lot of things sound worse than what they turn out to be.

Make sure that you get lots of rest.

Take care

xxx

• Posted

I've only been home just over an hour, so am totally washed out right now, so I'm sure you will understand my not commenting on your other post just yet, but as soon as I'm up to it I will x
    • Posted

I took everything they offered me in hospital!  Remember to take it easy, it was major surgery, rest, no lifting or stretching for things in cupboards etc. 
  • Posted

Don't worry after the op they make sure you are ok. Afterwards at home it's just discomfort and learning to go slowly all the time. I never took any pain relief at home I didn't need to. So don't worry it's not as bad as you think best thing I ever did .
    • Posted

Did you have keyhole surgery?I'm not and I think that this is worrying me more.How long ago did you have your op?
    • Posted

Hi I was opened up no keyhole forme and mine was ten years ago.
  • Posted

Hi! I had my op 4th April last year, I was back in work and college after 2 weeks and doing little bits at the gym after 8 weeks. I was supposed to be having key hole but they had to do a full incision in the end, I'm not saying I did things correctly but I did what I felt was right for me and sometimes if you are determined mind over matter can help the process along. The worse thing that I went through was the constipation, but after a few suppositories all was good. Nearly 12 months on and I feel fantastic and I look back in amazement at how easy it was for me. All I can say is don't worry about it too much and try not to get drawn into the horror stories, I went on a forum site and was reading it all and was panicking, but as soon as i stopped going on that that's when I felt I was getting in with my life. Sorry if I have rambled. :-)
  • Posted

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy last June and I wasnt in pain after although I had a spinal too as well as a general so had no pain at all right away. It's sore afterwards especially trying to sit up or get out of bed but you usually have to stay in bed the first day anyway.  I managed a shower in the hospital on the 3rd day.  The worst pain is bowel and wind pain but they can give you something for that so don't worry about it.   

I was absolutely scared stiff and wanted to back out a couple of weeks before but it wasn't even half as bad as I imagined and there were some lovely people on the ward and the nurses were all lovely so not a bad experience at all smile   Even enjoyed the meals and ate like a horse the day after my op lol   It honestly wouldn't bother me if I had to go through it again lol  I didn't bleed at all afterwards, took loads of sanitary towels but didn't need them and no bleeding from the cut either. 

• Posted

Hi Janet,Is it better to have an epidural aswell,does it help longer with the pain relief afterwards and is it painful when they inject it?How much stuff do they provide you in hospital?Did you have a drip and catheter and were these painful when removed?

Thanks for your help

Teresa

• Posted

I
    • Posted

Hi

i experienced quite a bit of pain managed it in week one with Endone, Paracetamol and Ibuprofen.  Everyone is different, I had very little bleeding. It's 14 weeks since my FAH which I had because of a tumour.  I still get a little discomfort.  My advice is do absolutely nothing but rest, eat and sleep for the first 10 days.

Debbie

• Posted

I had everything taken away in November

& was cut along bikini line , in hospital they gave me morphine for pain but it made me feel sick , they also gave me a spinal block during surgery to help with pain relief afterwards but to be honest the back ache was far worse than the few hours relief it gave , I was given tramadol & paracetamol which did help , once home I took codeine which the hospital send you home with & paracetamol , the pain was awful & iv had four kids with no pain relief so don't think I have a low pain tolerance but I suffered a lot , it took about 4 weeks for things to improve , you really must rest & listen to your body .xx

• Posted

Are you still experiencing any aches or discomfort. I have had three viral infections since my op on 17 October so I think that has hindered my recovery.  My wound healed beautifully but my tummy is like a floppy jelly, not pretty! I had a tumour in my uterus so had full op, hope to get all clear result at the end of March. 
    • Posted

I do get aches & pains , must say it when I over do it , my scare line healed beautifully & iv had no infections but I suffered with pain in my bladder & bowel due to having to take lots of iron tablets from lack of blood , I'm having my last blood test on Monday ( hopefully) I hope all your tests come back clear & you finish your recovery well .x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.