Abdominal Incision - scar, stitches etc

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I'm now 4wks post my sub total abdominal op with a horizontal bikini incision and would be grateful for your advice and experience.

I had dissolvable stitches and the incision has knitted together really well, although on one end where the stitch has been knotted externally, its not yet dropped off and is becoming a bit sore / irritable. There's a tiny bit of dried blood in that corner under the stitching which hasn't come away yet either. Just wondered if this should be left or whether the doc should deal with it at all? I'm going to ring the surgery in a moment to enquire.... When I saw the doc about my leg in week 2, he said it should just drop off in time.

When can you start rubbing bio oil or cocoa butter on the incision? I think I read somewhere week 6 but am not sure. My skin around and on the incision is dry.

Swelling and tenderness - There is a little bit of swelling about an inch above my incision and it's still a bit yellow and bruised. About 2/3 inches above its very tender to touch if I sweep my fingers across my skin. I assume this is just where it's still healing / bruised but wondered what your experience was.

Thanks in advance xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wait another couple of weeks before doing anything about your stitch unless it is very sore.  It should drop off by then.  If it doesn't I would then make an appointment with your GP.  My hushand had hart surgery a few years ago and had one stitch left protruding after about 8 weeks, so we made an appointment with  the GP and low and behold on the monring of the appointment it broke and I was able to get the end and pull it out with a pair of tweezers.  No trouble after that.  Cocoa butter is very good at softening the scar and as long as you only rub gently, you could start doing it now.  I left mine for 6 weeks.  The dried blood should come away pretty soon now. Yes it does stay tender for a while but this is due to the internal healing which takes much longer and can be 6 months for everything to get back to normal internally.  My tummy is now losing its puffiness, still a bit flabby but definitely getting back to normal at last.

Hope this is helpful and that everything now starts to settle down.  Don't try doing too much yet, its still early days.

• Posted

Thanks Barbara, that's really helpful.

Yes my body is letting me know if I do too much as I feel totally wiped out so I know I need to rest!

• Posted

Stitch has come out yay! It was hanging slightly so I pulled it gently and it came away, albeit a long length of it came away which shocked me but it was crisp dry and brittle so obviously wasn't dissolving. My incision was all knitted together so it's ok.

• Posted

Glad to see your stitch has come out at last and everything is all okay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.