Abdominal Muscle Pain For Several Months With No Answers.

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is a little long so just bear with me. I'm a 20 year old female and way back in January I tore a muscle in my upper abdomen. It took a while for it to heal, but it did eventually But now for several months I've been having severe discomfort and pain right in my belly button area. It's like this really tight and tense feeling that's extremely uncomfortable because of it being right behind my belly button. It's also constant, it hurts all day long no matter what I'm doing. It's uncomfortable to lay down in most positions, it's uncomfortable to sit, and it's uncomfortable to walk, especially for long periods of time. I'm usually a very active person, I play basketball for fun, ride my bike, and I like to take walks in the neighborhood often. But I haven't been able to do any of those things for months now. I can't even stand up completely straight without it feeling like I'm pulling on something in there. The problem is I've been to so many different doctors and no one can seem to find an answer. I went to the emergency room for it when it first started but they just gave me muscle relaxers. I was going to an orthopedic for it, but that wasn't helping so that doctor sent me to a GI doctor. The GI doctor thought maybe I had a hernia, so I had an MRI done on my whole abdomen. But the the results of the MRI came out completely fine. I've been to urgent care and have also seen my primary doctor a few times for it but still no answers. My primary doctor did recently put me on Cyclobenzaprine muscle relaxers. They help take the edge off a little bit, but as soon as they wear off I'm back to the same feeling. I've also been using a heating pad on it and that temporarily helps a little bit too. I've tried things like Advil and Ibuprofen but nothing works. I just started acupuncture yesterday so I'm really hoping that helps because I don't know what else to do at this point. I'm so tired of doctors and other people telling me it's probably just anxiety. I know how I get when I'm anxious, and I've never experienced anything even close to this from it. And it's not like this pain happens at certain times, it's all day every single day. It's making me depressed because it's really affected my entire life at this point. Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you have neuralgia?

• Posted

Best of luck. When I fell on my elbow in my 20s, the pain went away after a few days only to come back six months later as neuralgia. When I had a botched blood test, the pain never fully went away. It started as daily and constant for two months and then it changed to come and go pain. It was diagnosed as neuralgia.

• Posted

Thank you! Wow that's crazy, sorry you had to go through that. That sounds similar to what's been going on with my stomach, I wonder if that's what it is.

• Posted

Sometimes the body forgets that it's healed itself and behaves as if it is still injured and and the pain receptors stay on.

• Posted

could you have diverticulitis. your torn muscle might have caused an issue with the area of bowel near the belly button. Maybe you need to have a camera put through the bowel to see. i had diverticulitis for months before i had to have a hospital stay for intrevenus antibiotics that cleared it up.

• Posted

No one has ever mentioned that to me before, but that sounds very possible. Thank you!

• Posted

Hopefully its just a muscle in spasm. But it seems like its whats called ACNES that you are suffering from. Its abdominal wall pain. You can try Carnetts test (google it) to verify whether it really is abdominal muscle/wall pain.

If its simply a muscle in spasm, you should try cupping therapy on that area, it will help a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.