Abdominal pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with Sjögren's after having my child as she had a heart condition from antibodies I never knew I had. I started getting dry eyes and mouth. But in the last year I have been suffering from severe tummy pain that I can barely walk with or stand up straight, it takes a good couple of days before I can get out of bed and then the pain eases over time in the next couple of weeks, but I'm always left with niggles after and get no warning the pain is coming. I hadn't even thought of it being Sjögren's until my mum mentioned something this morning as all my tests have come back fine and docs have so far said its IBS which I'm not convinced about, so thought best thing to do was see if anyone with Sjögren's suffered with this type of pain. I have had 6 bad attacks in 8 months. Thank you.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem. Sjogren's Syndrome can sometimes cause symptoms similar to IBS. I have them myself.

Symptoms vary from person to person but may include:

a dry, gritty or burning sensation in the eyes

dry mouth

difficulty talking, chewing or swallowing

a sore or cracked tongue

dry or burning throat

dry or peeling lips

a change in taste or smell

increased dental decay

joint pain

vaginal and skin dryness

digestive problems

dry nose

fatigue

• Posted

Hi, I heard about celiac disease in people with sjogrens which is something like IBS. If you have IBS or celiac you should look into a gluten free diet. It is very difficult and expensive but you will feel better.

I try to eat gluten free but most health and beauty products contains gluten . If you are using lipsticks, most likely you are injesting gluten . So look for gluten free products. You will feel much much better. I tried and prove it. 

Regards!

• Posted

Hi, yes I've been tested for celiac but came back negative. I was hoping for people to be 'yes stomach pains are part of Sjögren's as would love to get an answer for it to then hopefully work on preventing it, but looking at the response it's not a definite part really of it! 
  • Posted

I thought I had already answered this, the list I posted included digestive problems. Not everyone gets stomach pains, but I do. You will have to try different foods to see which give you pains and which don't, but of course you will need to make sure you are eating a well balanced diet. You don't say whether you are under a rheumatologist or not (SS comes under the autoimmune rheumatic diseases) If not, maybe you should ask to be referred, as some of the drugs available for RA and other inflammatory diseases would help with your SS.
  • Posted

I was recently diagnosed with sjogrens so I'm clueless as to what's going on.  I have the episodes where sudden sharp pain begins in my lower abdomen.  It hurts so bad I have to lightly waddle to the bed and it hurts extremely bad to even lift a leg on the bed.  It migrates to my genitals and is then relieved by diarrhea. No idea what it is and I still have testing to go. 
  • Posted

Ibs means the doctors dont know, i have sohgrins, and also suffer greatly with stumock disorder also called ibs by my doctor 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.