Abdominal pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’m on week 7 of my journey. I cannot seem to get my abdominal pain under control. Any advice as to how.? What foods should I avoid? What would help? Advil seems to bother me but I sometimes need it for pain.

Also, I’m really struggling with how the direction a day I should going can drastically change midstream. Felt fine enough to work today. Stopped at 1pm for an appointment. Now at 5 pm, my stomach is killing me. All I had was a cup of coffee after work. Is coffee a culprit.?  Pleas any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey Sean. 

Week 10 here. (LOL... I find it funny how when we introduce ourselves as mono people we also provide time frame.. something about it is comical.. almost like an identity)..

Anyways. Maybe try not drinking coffee for a while, it made me feel very sick. Also might be the advil causing your upset stomach. I had to stop taking them (which stunk, because I had terrible back pain for a few weeks) but the Advil was making my stomach hurt and I felt nauseous. Have you seen doctor about your pain? Could be an enlarged spleen or liver, due to Mono. 

• Posted

Hi Sean,

What a time of it you've been having, really hope this stomach pain can settle what a nightmare. Might have said in previous message can't remember, but might be worth trying taking a probiotic supplement daily as that gives good bacteria in the stomach, and peppermint too I think is meant to be good for the stomach. Ginger Root too could be another good one I think.

Hoping that everything settles down Sean, this will pass I believe the virus just seems to go through so many weird symptoms and phases. Nothing worse than an unsettled stomach, yoghurt as well is good as it contains probiotics.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Sean,

Yes, I have definitely found that both ibuprofen and coffee do not agree with me, especially in the beginning (I am about 2 months in).

I have largely replaced coffee with roasted dandelion root tea, as this is very nourishing and especially good for the liver. Ginger tea also helped me a lot when my stomach was unsettled. You can also try peppermint.

Taking a warm soak in a bathtub with 2 cups of epsom salt can help reduce pain and relax you. (This has helped me). 

Take it easy, and try to eat as healthy as possible. Start taking a good probiotic, in addition to other vitamins like vitamin C and B vitamins, like others have recommended on the forum. I hope you start to feel better soon!

• Posted

Thank you for posting this. I’ve been working backwards to look at posts because I am having terrible health anxiety, and one of the things that’s really bothering me is the side and belly pain. I haven’t had coffee in almost a week (which is probably contributing to the headaches) but eating seems like Russian roulette. My back is also hurting. So, I’m following the advice of folks on here - minus the bath, I don’t have a tub. Probiotics and ginger tea, fingers crossed. 
    • Posted

Hang in there Bjams, so hard I know, really do understand how you're feeling and it's awful when you just can't relax your mind and body because of the physical symptoms and the anxiety. Just to reassure that it will get better, just keep reminding yourself of that, there are definitely times it doesn't feel that way but I believe you will make a full recovery - just take each day as it comes just now this is the worst part, it gets better from here. Hoping these horrible symptoms settle down soon, it won't always be this way.

Craig

• Posted

My daughter is on week 7 of mono related stomach pain.

Did you ever find where it was coming from?

Did it resolve on its own? 

• Posted

That can be normal Farhan, the lymph nodes continued to bother me a bit even when I started to feel better, but this eventually goes too as time passes by - hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Ellen,

So sorry to hear your daughter is having such a tough time with stomach pain during mono - just think this virus causes all sorts of different symptoms and this can certainly be one. Particularly upper left stomach pain as that's where the spleen is with a lot of glands.

Just want to reassure that mono and all it's symptoms does go away on its own, don't panic if it takes a bit of time still, this can be normal but I do fully believe your daughter will make a full recovery. Trusting God with that without any doubt.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Ellen,

I’m in month 5 and still experiencing abdominal pain and GI issues. Haven’t found a cause (which I guess is a good thing), but my doctor is convinced it isn’t mono...

• Posted

Hey Bjams,

Really hoping this settles down for you too, so sorry to hear you've had such bother with abdominal pain. Mono seems to cause so many things, it seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be related and I've seen so many folk on here say they have abdominal pain with mono. Doing the right thing checking with the doc anyway.

Thinking of you and hang in there - I do still believe in your recovery, I know it's been such a long time but hang in there, a turning point is coming.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.