Abdominal pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

After my first phlebotomy i had very severe abdominal pain and ended up in the hospital. my ferratin went to 785. I going to have a 2nd phlebotomy and have an IV and only take 1/2 unit. im open to any and all ideas.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What did the physician at the hospital say?

• Posted

he did a laproscopic proceedure to hopefully resolve a small bowel obstruction but did not find an obstruction. after this procedure and no food to rest the area the pain was gone

i think the phlebotomy was maybe too much blood or too fast. he said he thought the small bowel had gone into shock from blood removal and low blood pressure.

• Posted

Rosemary, I have had a lot of experience talking to other HH people and not once has anyone mentioned this problem. I have googled researchers' papers and case studies and come up with nothing.

Ask to be checked for Helicobacter Pylori which thrives on iron - a long shot. Then there is celiac disease. HP can be diagnosed with a breath test or an endoscopy with biopsy, celiac needs an endoscope and biopsy too. Why they would cause a sudden onset of pain after phlebotomy though is strange (having experienced HP myself repeatedly - I get ulcer pain but not connected to venesections).

I suggest you join Haemochromatosis Support Facebook which is contributed to internationally and ask the same question. You may get another with same experience and what to do about it.

I assume you have a good meal in the hours preceding phlebotomy and lots to drink.

Good luck.

• Posted

thanks so much i will check on those things

• Posted

Never heard of this problem or any studies with this outcome.

I have only heard and encountered issues due to high numbers but never when blood is removed which is a very safe routine procedure.

Without knowing all your medical details and lifestyle it could be your diet and gut bacteria or even anxiety

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.