Abdominal pain after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had surgery a week ago removing my gallbladder. Everything went well including recovering and I started feeling a lot better two days ago.

Today I started feeling a cramp like feeing of my upper abdomen on the right side. To explain it better you know when you run and you start to get a cramp on your side. Well that's what I been feeling majority of the day and it's been hurting a lot more when I take a deep breath or even laying down I feel it.

Has anyone experience this? Is it normal or should I be concerned.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Have you started doing more because your feeling better? Maybe it's just your body saying please keep resting.

I also had surgery a week ago today and have been getting a pain/ achey feeling around where the gallbladder used to be around the back and side. I think mine is because I started to do too much because I was feeling a lot better, remember that the insides have a lot of healing to do.

Keep resting and I hope the pain goes away soon, if it doesn't and your concerned ring the hospital for advice or get an appointment with your GP.x

• Posted

Yes I was thinking the same thing maybe I felt like I was better so started doing my usual stuff. I am hoping that it is or even just built up gas. If the problem persists today I will be going to the hospital to find out what's going on.

Does it hurt for you when you take a deep breath or even yawn?

• Posted

Yes it hurts when I take a deep breath and just sniffing! I think it's really hard when you start feeling better to not do normal things, we have to stop ourselves and still take it easy after all it was still major surgery even though it was keyhole.

How are you feeling now?

• Posted

Hi I have just read another post from Daniel concerning the same thing,and he used a pillow on the right side to support the area and also ate a sardine washed off all the sauce and mashed it up and put on a cracker, and it appeared to work. I don't know if it does but it's worth a try ( I admit I am not keen on sardines) but you try anything.

Good Luck

• Posted

I also seen something about a sardine too. I wonder why a sardine lol. I tried using a pillow last night but didn't help as much but if I held that side myself it did help.

• Posted

It's only been a week. Just remember that. It was a very simple surgery and recovery isn't overly awful, but it still was MAJOR surgery. Stick to the guidelines - DO NOT lift anything over 10 lbs for 2 weeks, add 5lbs to that every week afterwards. Take it easy and slow for a while. It does take approximately 6 weeks for your insides to heal!!! I felt a sharp pain every time I took a deep breath for almost 3 weeks. That was my ONLY reminder that I had surgery. It's so easy to forget you had this surgery because it was SO simple. If I didn't have a drain tube in after my surgery, I would've been back to work in 3 days because I felt like healed so fast.

• Posted

It's usually air trapped . The more you move around the more it goes away .

• Posted

Yeah the pain comes and goes. I was scared it was something more serious. And by the looks of it it's very common for people to get this.

• Posted

I had my GB out June 2015. My first symptoms were what you are describing. Then it became foot related etc... I have had the pain ever since. I had the sphincter of Oddi surgery which was not the problem. I have been to Mayo and several doctors. No one really knows what it is. I look at results of tests over and over. On the endoscopy before surgery it says I could have a gluten sensitivity issue. I've been gluten free going on 2 weeks. So fat I still have the pain. Take tramadol 2 - 3 times a day. Very frustrating. Good luck

• Posted

I had mine removed Tuesday, (yesterday..) so much pain today . I'm scheduled to go back yo work on Saturday in 3 more days. I'm a hairdresser. Is this to soon ?

• Posted

Personally I would say it is, it's been a week since my surgery and I wouldn't be able to go back to work yet. Being a hairdresser you will be stood up a lot and will get tired quickly.

• Posted

I would say that is a bit soon because it took me a good week to be able to even walk around. Now if your work can help you out and you are able to take breaks often like sitting down. I'm back at work now and I still have to sit and take more breaks than other people just cause i get exhausted easily.

Remember your body went through what seems to be an easy surgery but major abdominal one. Your body is still healing inside.

Don't over do it take it easy. If you can take more days off I would suggest it.

• Posted

My poor fiance had his GB removed going on 4 weeks and how wakes up with stomach pain right in middle we back to ER 2 weeks after his surgery Blood work came back good and ultrasound showed everything was good I asked if they checked pancreas they said yes they do that with the blood work so I don't know what to do It's not everyday either maybe it's gas from all I read but so hard to give him meds over the counter due to his also has Kidney disease and is on dialisys he only gets sharp hurling over pains last 2 hours to 6 hours then subsides what can he take for this anyone?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.