Abdominal pain and bloody stool after PE diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been diagnosed with bilateral PE 2 months ago, and I've started on blood thinners (Xarelto 20mg).

A few weeks back I've started having a dull abdominal pain and I've noticed blood in my stool. Abdominal pain is not severe and it's more like a feeling that I'm going to be sick, and the blood in the stool is almost always present - both tarry stools and red blood with the stool.

Problem is that my GP and Emergency doctors discarded my worries, told me that it's a normal side effect of blood thinners, they did the blood test and said it was fine and also did lower intestine colonoscopy, which as well showed as fine. The tests were done about 2 weeks ago, but I'm still constantly having bloody stools and it worries me a lot!

Can you give me any advice, is there anything I should worry about, is there anything I can do as a private patient?

Appreciate your time and help!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Blood thinners do have this side effect. My cousin used to take a lot of "disprin" without doctor's advice. He started getting vomiting with blood. So, if your doctors are saying that it must be the reason.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply, but while I'm on Xarelto for 2 months now, the pain and bloody stools started occurring about 3-4 weeks ago. It getting worse and worse and the doctors are just doing nothing about it. Any advice or explanation would be great, but they are treating it like it's not even there.

• Posted

I understand that frustration when the doctors don't respond properly or don't want to take the pain seriously. Many doctors do this when they fail to find out anything but cannot tell you directly to go for second opinion. So, in this case I will suggest:

1. Search on internet for a doctor along with his reviews by the people who had similar problems like you. I had tried website called practo for this purpose. Reviews may confuse you too, but you may come across some happy patients who might have solved problem similar to yours.
      2. Once find choose one of them for second opinion.
    • Posted

Thank you Vish,

I'm looking for a second opinion tomorrow morning, I hope the bleeding subsides a bit by then.

• Posted

google black tarry stools and look at the images, is this what you are getting? If it is, you need to go back A&E or the ER depending on which country you live in. Are you vomiting at all? You could have an ulcer. Where is the abdominal pain?

• Posted

Hi Moon,

I'm getting really bloody stool recently, red bloody all over. Even when I pass gas, it's more of a wet fart with blood. I'm not vomiting at all, just feel uneasy and weak.

I was also checked for hemorrhoids and I don't have any. Abdominal pain is in whole stomach area, but to be more specific it's mostly in lower abdomen (bellow the belly button) and bloatedness in the stomach (below the ribs).

Thank you for you time and help!

• Posted

Ask for a ct scan with contrast. Getting a little bit of blood on the paper after wiping isn't usually a concern, but if your stools are really bloody and you are farting blood, I think it is important it is checked out as you are on blood thinners and are experiencing abdominal pain. Have you been offered PPI tablets. If not, ask for them they help protect your stomach from acid. Also ask about alverine they help with IBS symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Tommy552

You are taking a blood thinning medication and the rectal bleeding you are experiencing is a side effect. Do you have any haemorroids or anal fissures that the meds may cause to bleed. The only way to confirm if the medication us causing the bleeding is to stop the meds for a while, but i would think your doc would be against stopping the med. If you do think of stopping it for a while make absolutely sure you speak about it with your doctor first. Just bear with it for a while longer and once your body has got used to the medication the rectal bleeding may stop...best wishes..

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Thank you for you reply. I was checked for and don't have any hemorrhoids.

I won't stop my medication unless doctor says so, I'll press on and bear with it as much as I can.

I'm just worried if it's something more serious, or if it will affect me and my health in the long run?

Thanks once again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.